Question
Reply
 
Tutor
awestcoastguy
Posts: 5
Member Since: ‎09-12-2009
Message 1 of 12 (21,239 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to configure a parallel printer to a USB port?

Hi people....I'm trying to set up our old, trusty Laserjet 5P with our new G70 using a USB to parallel cable, but to no avail. Any ideas on how to configure this odd couple so that they can live and work in harmony? My wife would rather lose me than have to give up her printer. 
Provost
erico
Posts: 25,935
Member Since: ‎01-07-2009
Message 2 of 12 (21,215 Views)

Re: How to configure a parallel printer to a USB port?


awestcoastguy wrote:
Hi people....I'm trying to set up our old, trusty Laserjet 5P with our new G70 using a USB to parallel cable, but to no avail. Any ideas on how to configure this odd couple so that they can live and work in harmony? My wife would rather lose me than have to give up her printer. 

Hi,

What brand of USB to parallel cable do you have?

Did you download the drivers from the manufacturer's website?

 

regards,

erico





Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****


2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
awestcoastguy
Posts: 5
Member Since: ‎09-12-2009
Message 3 of 12 (21,193 Views)

Re: How to configure a parallel printer to a USB port?

hi erico...thanks for the reply. The cable brand is "i.connect" from PPI International and described as "USB to Parallel IEEE 1284". Its a bi-directional cable with USB 1.0 and 1.1 compliance. My OS is Vista Home Basic (I should have mentioned that initially) and the 5P driver is listed as part of the Printer Setup and that's where I selected it from, and the 5P is currently shown as the default printer. When I try to print a test page, the computer happily sends it off to the ether while the printer stands idly by. Any thoughts? Anybody?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Posts: 15,991
Member Since: ‎11-17-2008
Message 4 of 12 (21,192 Views)

Re: How to configure a parallel printer to a USB port?

In addition to the printer driver shich you have installed you may also need a driver for the USB to parallel converter.  The other thing I would check would be the port settings, the converter may provide an emulated LPT1: port, but it may be a different port.  Make sure you are using the correct port.

 

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

 

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Provost
erico
Posts: 25,935
Member Since: ‎01-07-2009
Message 5 of 12 (21,188 Views)

Re: How to configure a parallel printer to a USB port?


awestcoastguy wrote:

hi erico...thanks for the reply. The cable brand is "i.connect" from PPI International and described as "USB to Parallel IEEE 1284". Its a bi-directional cable with USB 1.0 and 1.1 compliance. My OS is Vista Home Basic (I should have mentioned that initially) and the 5P driver is listed as part of the Printer Setup and that's where I selected it from, and the 5P is currently shown as the default printer. When I try to print a test page, the computer happily sends it off to the ether while the printer stands idly by. Any thoughts? Anybody?


Hi,
I can't find the manufacturer on the internet. I hope it was pretty cheap. Try to stay away from no name brands.  I would suggest using a PCI parallel port card instead. I have used them and had no problems with printer setup. Be sure and purchase one that support for Vista OS is stated in the features for the product. SIIG and Rosewill are good brands. Here is a link to a NewEgg web page with a selection of the cards. Another alternative for newer PCs is use of a one or two port parallel PCI- Express x1 card (much faster than the PCI bus! They are much more expensive than PCI cards). Read the customer reviews before making your purchase decision on the unknown branded cards. 
I do not know if you have a desktop PC or a laptop as you did not state it. 
 
regards,
erico 

 





Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****


2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
awestcoastguy
Posts: 5
Member Since: ‎09-12-2009
Message 6 of 12 (21,162 Views)

Re: How to configure a parallel printer to a USB port?

Sorry, I guess I assumed that you would recognize an HP G70 as a laptop...my bad. So a card won't help me here.
Tutor
awestcoastguy
Posts: 5
Member Since: ‎09-12-2009
Message 7 of 12 (21,146 Views)

Re: How to configure a parallel printer to a USB port?

Hi again...I believe I have my solution. I found this converter on Amazon along with great reviews http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=160_TU-P1284&cat=32. Once I receive the little guy, I'll post my results. Thanks for all your guys' help and patience.

 

Andew

Provost
erico
Posts: 25,935
Member Since: ‎01-07-2009
Message 8 of 12 (21,150 Views)

Re: How to configure a parallel printer to a USB port?


awestcoastguy wrote:
Sorry, I guess I assumed that you would recognize an HP G70 as a laptop...my bad. So a card won't help me here.

Hi,

Yep. I normally catch that before I go into my Product number/model name spiel. :smileywink:

That looks like a pretty good product. Hope it works as easily as advertized.

 

regards,

erico





Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****


2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
awestcoastguy
Posts: 5
Member Since: ‎09-12-2009
Message 9 of 12 (21,026 Views)

Re: How to configure a parallel printer to a USB port?

Eureka! The TRENDnet TU-P1284 Converter is a plug and play solution to mating a legacy printer to new computer. To recap, I have an HP G70 Laptop running Vista Home Basic and an HP LaserJet 5P and when I cabled everything up, the computer recognized the printer, installed the correct driver, and I was off and running. The adaptor is under $20.00 through Amazon.
Provost
erico
Posts: 25,935
Member Since: ‎01-07-2009
Message 10 of 12 (21,008 Views)

Re: How to configure a parallel printer to a USB port?


awestcoastguy wrote:
Eureka! The TRENDnet TU-P1284 Converter is a plug and play solution to mating a legacy printer to new computer. To recap, I have an HP G70 Laptop running Vista Home Basic and an HP LaserJet 5P and when I cabled everything up, the computer recognized the printer, installed the correct driver, and I was off and running. The adaptor is under $20.00 through Amazon.
Hi,
So the solution was my suggestion of fiding another brand rather than your post marked the solution.
The actual idea behind marking the post which solved a problem is so other forum members who are facing the same or similar issue can simply search accepted solutions here in the forum and find the precise post.
I am glad that your issue is resolved, 
 
regards,
erico 

 





Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****


2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation