Question

Student
caroline_prints
Message 1 of 19 (26,436 Views)

How to override the paper size mismatch on a C4480?

Hello fellow HP printer users.  I need to override the paper size mismatch error on an HP Photosmart C4480 and cannot figure out how to do so.  HP's online chat is clearly in India and useless to me.  They're having me print test pages and I'm a power user who needs a simple answer.  I figured I'd ask other power users in this forum - please take a moment to help me out if you may.

I'm trying to print envelopes that are a creative A7 size using a Mac OSX via Microsoft PowerPoint.  

I layed out my envelopes (all 200...) in PowerPoint as though they are 8.5x11" pages, printing only in the area of the A7 envelope.  If there were no "intelligent" paper sensor, this would work brilliantly, and I could go to bed with all of my envelopes printed and ready to mail the Christmas cards.  Alas, no luck with my new printer...

Does anyone know how to turn OFF this paper sensor, or how to override the paper sensor?  I desperately need the help.

Kind regards. 

Intern
STaylor
Message 2 of 19 (26,314 Views)

Re: How to override the paper size mismatch on a C4480?

Hi Caroline,

Have you tried creating a custom paper size that fit the envelopes dimensions, saving it, and than using it as your paper size in file/page setup?

Tutor
Triplecee
Message 3 of 19 (26,225 Views)

I'm having a similar problem trying to get a D7460 to print a custom page 5.75 x 8.875.  It always defers to an 8.5x11 page size and then tells me that the half page ernvelope that I have on the in tray is the incorrect size and will not allow mr to try it.  The print preview shows an 8.5x11 format with the envelope information in one corner.
Top Student
Gaximus
Message 4 of 19 (25,351 Views)

I'm having the same problem.  I've tried making my own custom size and everything it just sucks it half way in and then says "paper type mismatch"  and every button on the printer just cancels the printing.  Please Help.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 5 of 19 (25,339 Views)

Try to measure the paper once again using a ruler and make sure the EXACT paper size AND paper type are selected correctly for the document before you print. This is the main reason it will reject the paper.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
Gaximus
Message 6 of 19 (25,301 Views)

The problem the paper is to narrow it won't even try to print with the actual size.  It takes the paper fine and isn't getting jamed or anything.  its just a slight smaller than 3" wide.  I need to find a way to disable the size check on the printer.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 7 of 19 (25,296 Views)

AFAIK, there is no way to disable the paper size check.

Also below is the minimum and maximum custom paper size dimensions. If even one of the sides is smaller than the minimum size specified, then the printer won't print it. Take a look and see if your paper size is smaller than this. If it is small, then bad luck.

76 x 127 mm up to 216 x 356 mm (3 x 5 inches up to 8.5 x 14 inches)
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
Gaximus
Message 8 of 19 (25,279 Views)

Yep its to small, thanks
Honor Student
wkleema15499
Message 9 of 19 (22,906 Views)

I have followed this thread hoping for an answer.  I am working with an Officejet 6300, trying to resize to 6.5 by 10 for a greeting card.  I have tried to resize in the print folder and in the software program to no avail  It wont let me change the paper size.

It says the custom paper size that you have defined will not become available until you have exited and re entered the printing preferences/properties . 

I have exited and re-entered until I am blue in the face.  Do you have any help on the 6300?

linda

Student
wingjazz
Message 10 of 19 (22,084 Views)

Same problem, truly annoying.  I've tried resetting everything, creating a custom paper size, selecting a size "close to" the paper size I'm trying to use (6.375 X 8.5), nothing works.  So now I have all this expensive custom paper and no way to print on it.  I even tried taping the smaller paper to a "normal" sheet but the printer jams every time.  I hope somebody comes up with SOMETHING.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation