Question

Student
beckysandefur
Message 1 of 13 (5,304 Views)

Inkjet not reading one of my ink cartridges

I installed a new yellow cartridge, but it's still showing that it's empty. I exchanged the new one at Staples twice, but it's still not reading it. I tried rebooting computer and printer. I did a self test on the printer. It shows the yellow ink level as 0%. I have had this happen before, but replacing the ink cartridge always fixed it. At this point it doesn't seem logical to me that 3 different cartridges would all be faulty, so it must be the printer/computer. It will only allow me to print with black ink. Help! I need to print in color!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 13 (5,291 Views)

Re: Inkjet not reading one of my ink cartridges

Please post some details:  What is your Printer Model?  What is your Operating System?  How is the printer connected?

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
yrngtmr
Message 3 of 13 (5,279 Views)

I am having the same problem with my HP Photosmart C7250 all-in-one (attached to the computer via USB).  I've replaced the Light Cyan cartridge with a HP-made replacement.  My computer (Mac) reads the proper ink level (full) but the printer does not.  I've tried taking it out and putting it back in, but that does not help.  Please help me print in color again!  

Thank you.

Honor Student
bsandefur
Message 4 of 13 (5,254 Views)

[ Edited ]

My printer is an HP Photosmart C6180. My operating system is Windows XP and the printer is connected directly to my HP Pavilion laptop with a USB cable.

(I'm the same as beckysandefur above. For some reason when I logged in it made me reselect a user name and said my name was in use....by me, but anyway....)

Honor Student
bsandefur
Message 5 of 13 (5,149 Views)

I haven't heard anything back on my post since April 19th. Could someone please help me with my issue.

My printer is an HP Photosmart C6180. My operating system is Windows XP and the printer is connected directly to my HP Pavilion laptop with a USB cable.

My yellow ink was the only cartridge that was empty. I replaced it 3X, but it is still not reading the yellow cartridge. When I first install it, it says that it is the right one, but it still reads empty and will only let me print in black.

Honor Student
jeg1972
Message 6 of 13 (5,132 Views)

I'm having a similar but not identical problem with my B209a.  With me, the Yellow cartridge shows as full, but won't print.  I'm going to get a completely new set of ink cartirdges today to see if that solves the problem, but I suspect its the printhead... not great for something that I only bought in January and have only used about 5 times.  I will post back my finidings.

Student
Mart248
Message 7 of 13 (5,116 Views)

Officejet Pro L7590 All-in-One. USB and wireless connection.

Same problem: inkjet not recognizing new Black cartridge installation. Tried trouble shooting directions to reset message.

Aiming to reset device to factory settings and/or re-install HP CD. Scanner no longer works either. Urgent for business.

Student
macdrieds
Message 8 of 13 (5,092 Views)

I have a HP photoshop 8250 which shows on the little screen that  the Printer Cannot Print as I need to replace the  Magenta ink cartridge to resume printing.  I have installed 2 - new Magenta cartridges and continue to get same message.

I did an on-line chat with a "tech" person and he did not have a "fix" for my problem, but he could upgrade my printer

at a discount price.

Any suggestions to help me solve this problem without purchasing a new printer.

Thanks,

Marilyn

Student
SM_Bwell
Message 9 of 13 (4,985 Views)

I am having the same problem with my HP C7180.  It is not recognizing the new yellow ink cartridge.  I have replaced it twice now.  It is connected via WiFi network.  My computer is running Microsoft XP.  Your help is greatly appreciated!

Student
samiller99
Message 10 of 13 (4,236 Views)

There seems to be no reply here from HP?  My problem is CYAN.  It reads full, I am on my second cartridge.  The level shows and stays full for both cartridges. 

I am on Vista, using a USB cable and have a Photosmart 6280 All-In-One.

This is crazy that I have a nice printer I can't use and I see I am not the only one with this issue.  Please reply!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation