My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected. (65627 Views)
Student
kgreen20
Message 1 of 72 (65,627 Views)

My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.

[ Edited ]

This is a problem that has developed very recently.  My computer does not recognize my HP printer as connected, even though it is--I checked.  Both the electric cord plugging the printer into the electrical outlet and the USB cord connecting the printer to the computer are plugged in where they're supposed to be, yet the Solution Center claims that I'm disconnected.  Is there a way to resolve this problem?  I cannot find the solution.  I've tried unplugging both cords and plugging them back in, and I've tried powercycling the computer itself, but neither has worked.

PhD Student
kkcb9395
Message 2 of 72 (65,577 Views)

Re: My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.

Hi - I'm not sure which printer you have, but if it is an inkjet (Photosmart, Officejet, Deskjet), try running the Print Diagnostic Utility to help resolve the issue:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02072599&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

Hope that helps.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
Top Student
DonVanHalen
Message 3 of 72 (65,504 Views)

Re: My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.

I have the same problem around March 23rd. I left for Maui the next day and just returned today, so I have been unable to work on it since then. Off of vacation and back to computer problems :smileysad:   lol

I uninstalled the windows updates from that day dealing with printing from a web page but I still am experiencing the same problem. I have HP 9340F running Win Vista with a Canon S600. Has run well for over a year and then around March 23, it has become very troublesome. So to empahized, let's start with it has been running for over a year without any printer problems of this sort.

Now: I can see it in the printer group.  I can print a test page. I cannot print from word 2010 or Firefox. Wordpad works great. No problems in printing anything from wordpad.  Yet, when I am in Word or an internet browser, it fails. When clicking on print and the prompt box comes up, the computer will not respond to the properties button. When hitting the print key often an error comes up, stating the following "an unknown error occured during printing".

I disconnected the printer and hooked it up to my HP laptop and everything works fine in all applications. I am ruling the printer out. 

I deleted the printer from my desktop computer, reinstalled, reloaded the lasted drivers, and it continues to fail.

Thinking it is one of the window updates since you and appear to have the same failure around the same date. But, it is only a guess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

PhD Student
kkcb9395
Message 4 of 72 (65,477 Views)

Hi - Unfortunately, I won't be much help troubleshooting the computer.  Your post is in the HP printer forum, so I'd recommend re-posting in this forum:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-systems-and/bd-p/OSandSW

This is where the computer experts hang out and will hopefully be able to resolve the problem for you.

Hope that helps.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
Student
pamzees2
Message 5 of 72 (63,149 Views)

My printer is not printing

I did the wireless network test and the network name ssid failed.  How do I fix this?

Honor Student
4mlthorn
Message 6 of 72 (57,674 Views)

Everything is plugged in correctly, and the printer will copy, but not print from the computer.

Honor Student
4mlthorn
Message 7 of 72 (57,674 Views)

My printer will make copies, but will not print from the computer.  Everything is plugged in.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 8 of 72 (57,380 Views)

My printer is connected to my computer, but my computer does not recognize it as connected.

4mlthorn and kgreen20, I would recommend first running this application to diagnose your printer and its software, this may even resolve any small issues that are leading to these errors:

http://goo.gl/u3jDE

Also, I would recommend uninstalling the printer from the computer entirely after removing the USB cord (if one is used). I will need to know which printer you are using so I can link you to the full feature software we make available for download.

Let me know if this helps!
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Student
aterpri
Message 9 of 72 (54,528 Views)

thanks
Student
pgables
Message 10 of 72 (49,085 Views)

My MacBook Pro is not communicating with my HP Photosmart Premium C410 printer.  It says printer is not onnected, but it is by wire an should also be wireless.  What can I do???

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation