Question

Honor Student
Frustration1029
Message 1 of 17 (16,609 Views)
Accepted Solution

OfficeJet 6310 Tricolor (93/95) Cartridge Stops Working After Replacing B/W (92) Cartridge

[ Edited ]
OfficeJet 6310.  Brand New Problem.  This morning my 92 Black (right side) went dry and as soon as I replaced it the printer claimed that my tricolor is bad.  With the 95 the printer now says "left cartridge must be replaced" and with the 93 the printer now says "cartridge not intended for this printer."  This makes no sense at all.  Rebooting, cleaning contacts and heads, nothing seems to work. Cartridges are HP OEM fresh out of the blister pack, not refills.  I have used both the 93 and the 95 tricolor cartridges alongside the 92 Black for a couple years.  Aliens have infected my printer.  Anyone have thoughts?  Someone two days ago posted basically the same issue with their 5740 printer as well.
Message Edited by Frustration1029 on 09-12-2009 07:48 AM
Honor Student
Decaf
Message 2 of 17 (16,619 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6310 Tricolor (93/95) Cartridge Stops Working After Replacing B/W (92) Cartridge

This problem is happening throughout the HP family, by just reading posts on this forum. I have a Deskjet F4235 and when I replaced my black ink cartridge (this is the third one) it crashed my tri-color HP60 ink. Rendering it incompatible, disallowing me to print anything at all. I had to remove my color ink cartridge to print black only. I'm upset that this is a problem throughout so many of the HP printers! The only answer I have is to waste the cartridge and ink you have left and buy a new color cartridge. Not a fair or reasonable answer, I know. I don't like it either!
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 17 (16,586 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6310 Tricolor (93/95) Cartridge Stops Working After Replacing B/W (92) Cartridge

The printer will test the print cartrdiges under certain conditions and only then would it notice a cartrdige issue.  One of the conditions for a test is when a cartrdige is replaced, which is why replacing a cartrdige may result in the other cartridge showing an error.  You should try cleaning the cartridge contacts as shown here.  Although this is for a different cartridge series the principles are the same.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
Dwagnfly
Message 4 of 17 (16,364 Views)

I hope you were able to get your printer to work. I had the same problem with my HP Officejet 6310. My color cartride 95 was empty so I replaced it with 93 (OfficeMax version). I received the "cartridge not intended for this printer." response. It just wouldn't work. I tried to reboot, clean, etc. as listed on the other post. I returned it to OfficeMax and we couldn't find cartridge 93 listed on the HP chart for Officejet 6310 but it was listed on the box that it was for 6310, so for that reason I guess they were more than willing to give me credit and I went home with 95. I thought that was the explanation. BUT NO, I put 95 in my printer and got the "left cartridge must be replaced" response.  My DH and I tried everything, again to no avail.  But a good nights sleep led me to try and RESET by putting my OLD EMPTY 95 cartridge back in so that I could try and at least print something in B&W. That worked, so I thought I think I'll put the NEW 95 in now. AND WALLAH! IT WORKS.   Apparently the printer gets confused. It didn't want to go from 95 to 93 and back to 95. But it recognized the old 95 as it's 'old friend' and was able to welcome a like cartridge.    I wonder if this is why the 93 wasn't listed on the HP chart?  HMMMM. So, nothing but 95's from now on for my Officejet.
Student
joseg_993
Message 5 of 17 (14,574 Views)

On the cleaning connections, if the cleaning connections fix doesn't clear up the error, any chance doing a firmware reinstall /update will restore printer back to its original condition?

I've tried multiple new HP cartridges, soft & hard printer boots with same issue results.

Thanks for any reply!!

Honor Student
aguahombre
Message 6 of 17 (9,695 Views)

I'm having the same problem. Black cartidge 98/95 combo stopped working. The original was 92. I've tried everything except buying another 92. Does anyone think this would work before I spend the money? Thanks

Student
mmwduffy
Message 7 of 17 (9,529 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6310 Tricolor (95) Cartridge Stops Working After replacement - Constant Error Message

I have an HP 6310xi and simply replaced the color cartridge.  Now all I keep getting is an error message that says to replace it.  I've done all the cleaning, unplugging/pluggin in, blah, blah and nothing will fix it.

I have tried putting that same new cartridge in another HP 6310 I have and same problem.  Now the color cartridge that was just fine in the 2nd printer won't work - in either printer.  UGH!!

I saw that you tried installing your empty one to RESET the printer.  I'm gong to try that but unfortunately I have to wait until my daughter is home from school as I gave it to her to donate to the recycle program at her school.

Honor Student
aguahombre
Message 8 of 17 (9,524 Views)

My original subject quote is in- correct and should have said a 98/95 combo and NOT a 93/95. Well It always feels better not to be alone. I think I will try to replace the non working black 98 from combo pak with a new black 92 or 93. 

Tutor
joelminn
Message 9 of 17 (6,205 Views)

1. Remove all cartridges and turn off printer

2. Unplug printer and wait one minute

3. hold down # and 9 while plugging power cord back in.

4. Wait a few seconds, then press the power button.

5. Display should read "Full Null Reset"

6 Only install color cartridge.  Close cover

7. Wait for machine to ask for black cartridge, then open cover and install black cartridge.

8. Close cover

9.  Alignment page should be printed automatically.

Pcn Student
Student
Pcn
Message 10 of 17 (4,939 Views)

This worked for me!! Never thought anything would work, but this "Null Reset" trick worked like a charm.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation