Question

Student
DocMedia
Message 1 of 25 (126,125 Views)

Problem installing Laserjet 4050 in Windows 7 x64, No driver in Universal Print Driver v5.0.3

I have just installed Windows 7 64Bit operating system.  I have be successful in installing several other more recent HP printers in the office.  However, my main "workhorse" printer is a HP Laserjet 4050 and I have downloaded the Universal Printer Driver v5.0.3 for Windows x64 - PCL 5 and PCL 6, and in both cases it does not find a suitable driver. The HP download site states these Universal Drivers will work, but I cannot get it to install.

Is there a driver that will work on the 4050 in Windows 7 X64?  Thanks everyone.

Top Student
fgps
Message 2 of 25 (126,068 Views)

Re: Problem installing Laserjet 4050 in Windows 7 x64, No driver in Universal Print Driver v5.0.3

[ Edited ]

You're probably getting the "Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver" error if you're trying to add the driver while adding a printer that is shared over the network. You see, HP's Universal Printer Driver (UPD) doesn't contain the PnpIDs of every printers it supports, so when you specify HP's UPD as the drivers for the network printer, if Windows can't find a match for the printer's PnpID it spits out the driver isn't compatible.

The way to overcome this is to install a "generic" printer locally, using HP's UP driver, and change the port afterwards to point to the shared printer. So, first, add a local printer (that will be using the LPT1 port - make sure no printer is attached!), and click on "Have disk(s)" to browse to and select HP's UPD. Going through the remaining steps should install a locally-attached printer named something like "HP Universal Printing PCL 5" (or "[..] PCL 6"). You'll then go in the new printer's properties, on the "Ports" tab, and click on "Add Port...". If you're installing a shared printer, you'll select "Local Port", click on "New Port..." and specify the path to the printer (e.g. \\myserver\hplaserj) as the port name. Those steps should do the trick.

Last thing: beware, though, as HP's UPD PCL 6 might not be compatible (anymore) with your LaserJet 4050, as they use a PCL XL class number/revision (class 2.1; sort of a version number of the protocol) that is higher than what your printer's firmware might support for PCL6 (should be class 2.0) I know the latest versions of HP's UPD PCL 6 doesn't work with our LJ 4000 & 4050 printers, so you might have to use the PCL5e driver for those 64-bit workstations.

Background info:

PCL XL error on Laserjet 4550n with PCL 6 driver [IT Resource Center Forums]

Universal Print Driver PCL6 broken on LaserJet 4000 [IT Resource Center Forums]

Printer Command Language [Wikipedia]

Let us know if it works.

Intern
JessicaD42
Message 3 of 25 (125,956 Views)

Re: Problem installing Laserjet 4050 in Windows 7 x64, No driver in Universal Print Driver v5.0.3

DocMedia,

Have you verified with Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center that the printer is indeed compatible with Windows 7? The Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility Center is available here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx and can be used for both hardware and software concerns.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Top Student
fgps
Message 4 of 25 (125,551 Views)

I can confirm that HP LaserJet 4050 Series printers (4050, 4050n, etc.) are indeed compatible with Windows 7, and show up on the Windows 7 Compatibility Center (model number C4251A#ABU for the HP LJ 4050). Although a native driver doesn't come with Windows 7 Gold, it's available via Windows Update (i.e. when using the option to check/browse for drivers on Windows Update). The printer is also supported on Windows 7 using drivers provided by the manufacturer, namely HP's Universal Printer Driver (UPD). As I mentioned in my previous post, this is fine when installing a printer that is locally attached (using LPT1, for example) and Windows 7 will find the right drivers for it, but it's not as simple when installing the same printer when it's shared on another workstation (or as an TCP/IP printer)

See, HP LaserJet 4000 & 4050 Series printers don't supply a PNPID in the form a vendor/device pair of ids (either through USB or DOT4PRT; they use LPTENUM instead, so Windows tries to match the drivers by name), so when adding them as printers shared over the network, Windows likely won't be able to find the right driver for them if the drivers names don't exactly match (whether for the native driver or HP's UPD). The simplest way of overcoming this, as described in my previous post, is to install them locally, using a local port (e.g. LPT1) and the desired driver (either the native or UPD one), and to change the port afterwards for one that points to the printer's share. The same issue existed in Vista for printers with LPTENUM drivers. For those interested, see http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/1/161ba512-40e2-4cc9-843a-923143f3456c/pnplpt.rtf .

Other notes on using HP LaserJet 4000/4050 printers in Windows Vista SP2 and Windows 7:
- The native PCL6 driver for HP LaserJet 4050 (the one available from Microsoft) works the best but it has a few bugs, notably it doesn't support watermarks (this is the case for both Windows Vista SP2 and Windows 7).
- HP's Universal Printer Driver PCL 6 DOES NOT support LaserJet 4000 and 4050 printers, as the driver uses a class number/revision of PCL6 not supported by the firmware of those printers.
- HP's Universal Printer Driver PCL 5 DOES support LaserJet 4000 and 4050 printers, but might not print with the same level of details.
- Also, make sure that you match drivers language/revision on the clients and the server sharing the printer. So, if you have to use HP's UPD PCL5 for a few workstations, you'll have to install the UPD PCL5 drivers on the machine sharing the printer (side-by-side with the PCL6 drivers), create another instance of the same printer that will be using those PCL5 drivers, share it, and make sure clients with the UPD PCL5 drivers installed are using that PCL5 instance of the printer instead.

Student
robbyhp
Message 5 of 25 (123,413 Views)

You are awesome! I have been struggling with this for a while. The steps you suggested worked like a charm.

Thanks 

Student
mdleeder
Message 6 of 25 (120,166 Views)

i have tried all of these steps (and many others) and i still cannot get my HP Laserjet 4050 working (via parallel port or network jetdirect 620n) with my windows 7 64-bit. i am at my wits end.

it used to work no problem with my previous computer (windows 7 32bit). i have tried ALL the driver options.

not sure if there is anything else i can do.

Honor Student
cogen6566
Message 7 of 25 (119,945 Views)

Problem installing Laserjet 4050 in Windows 7 x32

Could you give me step by step instructions on how to install the same printer in Win 7 32-bit. I am sitting here trying not to choke myself to death. I have followed instructions from the HP site and this forum to no avail. It is connected as a local printer and have tried to install it a number of ways . . . . please?

Honor Student
cogen6566
Message 8 of 25 (119,765 Views)

I finally came up with a solution which may or may not work for you. I navigated to the network settings through the control panel and looked for the local area connection. After clicking on the link for the local area connection I looked at the properties. On the list there is a internet protocol version 4. I checked the settings by using properties and made the following changes. Stepping back a minute, my printers ip settings were 10.10.10.16, so I told it to use 10.10.10.50 instead of using automatic settings. Then afterwards changed the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0

I hope this works for you, I amost went crazy.

Honor Student
howard1955
Message 9 of 25 (112,728 Views)

Use the LaserJet 4200/4300 PCL6 native to Windows 7 x64 for your LaserJet 4050, It works fine. Just ignore the device that has the yellow triangle. It's just saying HP doesn't provide a correct driver. It wont bother anything but you can't make it go away.

Student
clueless1
Message 10 of 25 (107,272 Views)

How do i figure out what to name the path to the printer?  BTW it's plugged into one of the ethernet ports on my router.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation