USB device not recognized (1952 Views)
Honor Student
scott11
Message 1 of 6 (1,952 Views)

USB device not recognized

After more than a year of use,  my computer does not recognize my device (hp officejet pro 8500 A909a).  I've tried turning computer and printer off and on, changing USB cables, ports, etc.  I even uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.  Nothing has corrected the problem.  "USB device not recognized".

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 2 of 6 (1,879 Views)

Re: USB device not recognized

Hi there scott11,

Could you provide the community with a little more information to help narrow troubleshooting? What operating system are you using?

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Honor Student
scott11
Message 3 of 6 (1,877 Views)

JohnB,

I am using Windows XP.  Snce posting my problem, i reinstalled the driver a second time and managed to get my printer to work on a more regular basis.  However, I still get routine error messages that "USB device not recognized" and my printer will not respond.  I have had success lately in just unplugging the USB from the back of the printer and plugging back in.  Sometimes I have to do it several times until I get a message indicating that my computer is recognizing the printer.

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 4 of 6 (1,868 Views)

Hmm, that is odd. Glad to hear it is at least somewhat functional. If you don't mind trying download and run the HP Print and scan doctor located here. I suspect it may be able to resolve the issue we are having. If not it can give us more info on exactly what is going on.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Student
halshanty
Message 5 of 6 (1,488 Views)

my computer cannot recqognize my printer what shall i do now

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 6 of 6 (1,479 Views)

USB device not recognized

Hello halshanty,

I take it that your printer is connected to your computer via USB? Also, what operating system are you running on your computer? If it is Windows, did you try the HP Print and Scan Doctor that JohnB linked above, and if so, what were the results (errors, etc.)? Lastly, what is the make/model of your printer?

Any extra information you give may be helpful in finding a resolution.
:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation