Question

Honor Student
tomdriver
Message 1 of 5 (38,946 Views)

Unwanted lines in photo printing

My printer is Deskjet 6940.  When printing photos I get striations (thin, dim straight lines) in areas of solid color, especially in black areas.  Has anyone esperienced this?  What is the remedy?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (38,924 Views)

Re: Unwanted lines in photo printing

tomdriver wrote:

My printer is Deskjet 6940.  When printing photos I get striations (thin, dim straight lines) in areas of solid color, especially in black areas.  Has anyone esperienced this?  What is the remedy?

What media type are you printing to?  Make sure you have selected the proper paper type, printing to photo paper with plain paper settings can cause the results you see.  If the paper settings are correct then try running a cartridge cleaning cycle from the toolbox, it may be that you have some nozzles clogged.  If there are regular repeating lines then you may have an  issue with the electrical connection of the color cartridge (or either cartrdige if using plain paper).  Try removing the cartrdige and cleaning the contacts as shown here.  (This is for a different model but the same procedure applies.  Start with Step 3.)

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
tomdriver
Message 3 of 5 (38,911 Views)

Thank you.  For some reason, I cannot access the toolbox for my HP Deskjet 6940 printer.  When I navigate to, and click on, the button marked "Service this device," I get an error message saying "Unable to perform this operation."  I tried reinstalling the printer using the original installation disk, but this did not help.  I would like to run the cleaning tool but cannot.  So now I have TWO problems:  the unwanted lines in photo printing and the inaccessibility of the printer's tool box.  Any thoughts about the latter? 

Tom

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 5 (38,903 Views)

What operating system are you using?  I would check the HP site for downloads of more recent drivers.  Also you can perform diagnostic and  cleaning functions as follows from the front panel: 

For a diagnostic page turn the printer on, then press and hold the power button in while pressing the X button once, then release the power button.  The resulting color grids should be complete.  If there are regular repeating missing areas then clean the cartrdige contacts as shown here.  If there are random missing area then perform a cleaning cycle as follows:  turn on the printer, then press and hold the power button, then press the X button twice, then release the power button.  For a more agressive cleaning press the X button twice then press the continue button once (more cleaning) or twice (most cleaning) before releasing the power button.  

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
Gazza911
Message 5 of 5 (18,997 Views)

I have similar problem. Printed same photo to same printer from 2 different machines. Machine 1 is windows 8 and second machine is windows 7.
Problem only occurs when printing from windows 8. Feint lines look like a grid pattern on the paper, there also seems to be a feint border around the picture, again only on windows 8. Note I am using the print app from the windows App Store as the supplied printer software is not compatible with W8.
Printer is HP3520 (brand new)
HELP......
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation