Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Two weeks ago, I acquired an HP Photosmart 7520 printer.  It was waking up at random times of the day.  It would make it's startup chime, the HP logo would show on the display, and the heads would do a little check for 10-15s.  I have disabled everything that I can think of that might be triggering this (Webapps, eprint, etc).  My best guess is that there's a software bug somewhere in the printer that is causing its software to crash, and it's rebooting.

I called HP, and the person suggested that this was abnormal behaviour.  So I took the printer back to the store, and exchanged it.

The new 7520 I have does the exact same thing.  Before I take it back to the store and buy a different product, I thought I'd make one last attempt to see if there's a way to stop this.

It is incredibly annoying to have electronics making random noises when unbidden.  Especially in the middle of the night.

Thank-you in advance,

Pat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

I have seen that the UPnP option can cause the issue you are seeing. Disable this feature in the printers EWS, and let me know if you continue to have the problem?

Disable UPnP in printers EWS:

Follow the steps below to access the EWS of the printer.

1. Typing the printers assigned IP address into the address bar of Internet Explorer.

2. Network Tab

3. Networking option on the left

4. UPnP option on the left

5. Select the 'Disable UPnP' radio button

6. Click 'Apply'

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hi there, you might check whether Auto Power-Off is enabled, you can do this as described below. It sounds like you're using the printer wirelessly so my guess is that this setting is disabled. By enabling it, the printer will automatically shut down after 2 hours of inactivity and should only restart when someone physically presses the power button on the printer.

To enable or disable Auto Power-Off
1. From the Home screen, touch Setup.
2. Touch Preferences.
3. Scroll through the options, and then touch Set Auto-off.
4. Touch On or Off.
5. Touch Yes to confirm your selection or No to keep your current setting.

Best.

I am an HP employee.
If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.
HP Recommended

Thanks,

I have made this change, and will see what happens.  This is not the ideal solution, however, as I don't want to have to manually turn my printer on every time I use it.  Also, if it "resets" before the auto-off kicks in, it will still be annoying.

I believe this to be a software bug.  It looks to me like this printer is running some sort of embedded linux.  Is it possible to telnet / ssh into it, to see if there's some sort of logging that might help troubleshoot?

-PT

HP Recommended
More data... The printer just "rebooted" mid-print, and complained about the fact that I did not shut it down properly.

I can't believe this is a hardware problem. This is the second printer I have purchased with the exact same symptoms.
HP Recommended

Hi ptoal:

Thanks for the post.

To further assist you can you please provide the following information:

1) Is your printer plugged directly into the wall or is it in a power bar/surge protector?

2) How is your printer connected (USB cable, ethernet, or wireless)?

3) Did you install the software from a cd or a download from HP.com?

4) Have you set up the fax functionality?

Happytohelp01

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
1. Yes. The same power bar that my previous (non-HP) printer was plugged into. The old printer had no issues.
2. Wireless
3. The printer updated itself via web services. The Mac is using the built-in print driver (did not install HP SW)
4. No, I am not using the Fax, nor have I set it up.
HP Recommended

Hi ptoal,

Thank you for the quick response.

I believe the issue you are experiencing is coming from the printer being plugged into a power bar. The document link I have given you discusses LaserJet printers but the information also applies to your PhotoSmart printer.

I would recommend that you plug the printer directly into a wall outlet and monitor it for the next 24 – 48 hours to determine if it still exhibiting the same behaviour.  I would also recommend installing the HP Printer software to ensure you have the full functionality of your printer.

Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00597016

Installing the Printer Software for a Wireless Network Connection

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03395929

Happytohelp01

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
While I'm appreciative of an attempt to answer this question, I find the quality of the response to be poor. I find the idea that the power-bar could be causing a problem with an Inkjet printer to be highly improbable. Either that, or the quality of the power supply for the HP printers is extremely poor.

I have plugged the printer directly into the wall, and will monitor for two days, but I fully expect to hear its startup chime and head initialization routine again in the near future.
HP Recommended

Have you had any luck? My 7520 does the same thing. I "upgraded" from a D7460 which NEVER did this. After a bit of experimentation, I think the printer is actually crashing. This happens about once an hour day in day out. I've done EVERYTHING to try to figure this out and nothing has worked. I hope HP get's some proper software released because that's where the problem likely lies (unless its their actual hardware). It's really a shame that there is no real support - I've got zero interest in calling and having them tell me to reinstall software, try a direct electrical connection to the wall, etc. - weird things like that.

PLEASE FIX THIS!!

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

I have seen that the UPnP option can cause the issue you are seeing. Disable this feature in the printers EWS, and let me know if you continue to have the problem?

Disable UPnP in printers EWS:

Follow the steps below to access the EWS of the printer.

1. Typing the printers assigned IP address into the address bar of Internet Explorer.

2. Network Tab

3. Networking option on the left

4. UPnP option on the left

5. Select the 'Disable UPnP' radio button

6. Click 'Apply'

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.