Question

Student
mallynic
Message 1 of 7 (6,535 Views)

ink cartridge error message re: empty cartridges when they are new.

I have a C5180 printer which has been working very well until a few weeks ago when I got a printer message that the black and magenta cartridges were empty.  I replaced them with new HP cartridges and I'm still getting the message.  Is there a fix for this problem?  They are not expired or refilled cartridges.  They are new genuine HP cartridges purchased from HP.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 2 of 7 (6,515 Views)

Re: ink cartridge error message re: empty cartridges when they are new.

Hi mallynic,

Try the following....

• Disconnect any cables (Ethernet cable or USB cable) that connect both the printer and the computer.
  • Restart your computer.
  • With the printer turned on , remove the power cord from the back of the printer.
  • Wait 30 seconds.
  • Insert the power cord back into the printer, and turn the printer on.
  • Clear any error messages.
  • Reconnect any cables that connect the printer to the computer.
  •  

Refer to the link below for more details (see the Override the false error message section)

Ink Cartridges are Empty error message

Does this solve the problem?

- Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
    Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
    Honor Student
    clp1949
    Message 3 of 7 (6,488 Views)

help!! I have a hp printer...probably 6 years old..Not used for about 5 years..started it up and it needed black ink. installed black ink...but now the error light stays on and the check print cart. keeps blinking..I have tried everything in the hp book and the info.here..nothing is working..thanks for your help!!!connie

Provost
    Bob_Headrick
    Message 4 of 7 (6,482 Views)

clp1949 wrote:

help!! I have a hp printer...probably 6 years old..Not used for about 5 years..started it up and it needed black ink. installed black ink...but now the error light stays on and the check print cart. keeps blinking..I have tried everything in the hp book and the info.here..nothing is working..thanks for your help!!!connie

Please read this post then provide some details. What printer model? What operating system? 

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
    clp1949
    Message 5 of 7 (6,457 Views)

It is a hp psc 1300 all-in-one and my computer is a hp windows 7.  I am pretty computer illeterate so please forgive me..the  computer and copier are not hooked up together yet...I was just trying to get the copier working first...thanks cp

Student
    NRaavi
    Message 6 of 7 (6,267 Views)

I have a HP C7100 all-in-one that is connected via USB to a WinXP SP3 computer.

I have replaced the Yellow cartridge 2 times already with brand new cartridges. Still I get a "replace the empty cartridge" message.

Anyone have similar problem that they were able to fix?

Provost
    Bob_Headrick
    Message 7 of 7 (6,251 Views)

clp1949 wrote:

It is a hp psc 1300 all-in-one and my computer is a hp windows 7.  I am pretty computer illeterate so please forgive me..the  computer and copier are not hooked up together yet...I was just trying to get the copier working first...thanks cp

The first thing I would check would be the date of the black ink cartrdige.  If it is five or six years old it may have failed sitting on the shelf.  Check the warranty date (two years beyond the manufacture date) as shown here.  These cartrdiges do not expire, but they may fail with years of storage.

Cleaning the cartrdige and printer contacts as shown here may help, otherwise you will likley need a new cartrdige.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation