Question

Top Student
alena_rogers
Message 1 of 16 (17,317 Views)
Accepted Solution

my deskjet 3050 cuts off about 1/2 inch on bottom.

my deskjet 3050 has always cut off the bottom. i can get it to print to the edge on the top and the sides, but not the bottom. originally, i had it hooked up to a pc that ran windows xp, but now it is on one that runs windows 7.

i have tried to talk to hp online chat, to no avail.

thanks!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 16 (17,298 Views)

Re: my deskjet 3050 cuts off about 1/2 inch on bottom.

The deskjet 3050 does not support full edge to edge printing.  It needs a 0.46" bottom margin.  This is typically provided with 4x6 media with a 1/2" tab that is removed after printing.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
alena_rogers
Message 3 of 16 (17,295 Views)

that's a bummer! it cuts off important parts of things. is there a way i can get it so that the whole page prints? i understand that you are saying that it cannot go to the edge, but it cuts off footers, etc. can i shrink it somehow?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 16 (17,293 Views)

In whatever program you are printing from you will need to make sure you have proper margins.  I would suggest a top margin of at least 0.1", side margins of 0.25" and a bottom margin of 0.5".

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
ytfg1
Message 5 of 16 (17,239 Views)

Bob,

The trouble with the 3050 is that it leaves space for a 1/2" tab IN ADDITION to the actual tab on 6x4 w/tab paper, i.e. it makes absolutely no difference to the finished product whether you use and specify 6x4 or 6x4 w/tab, you ALWAYS get a 1/2" wide margin on one side WITHIN the 6x4 area. This is unlike previous hp printers such as the psc 1215 which left the 1/2" wide border on 6x4 paper but correctly filled the 6x4 area of 6x4 w/tab paper (except for reasoanably small and reasonably equal white borders). I have been in correspondence with hp about this driver bug for months, so far to no avail.

Top Student
alena_rogers
Message 6 of 16 (17,228 Views)

exactly ytfg 1. it's a bummer! if i have something with a footer, it cuts it off. i would not have bought this printer had i known that.

Tutor
ytfg1
Message 7 of 16 (17,202 Views)

Alena,

At last I managed to speak to a Technical Manager at HP UK to get the definitive answer. The margins on the 3050 are not a bug but a "limitation of the printer". This also goes for its replacement, the 3050A.  Bob from Microsoft (above) mentions that some printers leave a margin of this size on one side to accommodate a tear off tab, but according to the person I spoke to, the 3050 does not recognize tab paper!!! This explains why using tab paper makes no difference (even though 6x4" w/tab and 10x15 cm w/tab are both options listed for this printer in "print preview").

I find this completely unacceptable. The blurb on the box and manual say that the 3050 prints 6x4 photos, but in fact it does not (unless you like a 1/2 inch border on one side). So, as I said before, it is not fit for purpose.

I cannot find anywhere on the HP website where it says the 3050 (and 3050A) has this "limitation". How can HP go on selling this model (as the 3050A). It is like selling a house with no doors (although at least that would be obvious). 

What is worse is that judging by the huge number of posts (under various headings) on the HP support forum (and Amazon UK), lots of people are having this problem and trying all sorts of things suggested by HP support to try to fix what is unfixable! Why don't HP tell their support teams that this problem is not fixable beacuse it is a design feature??? I spent weeks in e-mail correspondance with HP support.

I know the printer is cheap (ink replacement expensive though), but its limitations should be clearly labelled ON THE BOX.

Top Student
alena_rogers
Message 8 of 16 (17,200 Views)

well, thank you for your response. at least now i can quit wondering what it is i might be doinbg wrong, although i did feel all along it was not me. I chatted online for a while with a support person, and they acted as if it was my pc that was doing it, and insisted that the printer would print full page. it does not. i have found that i have to go in and select shink to fit page option, or i lose part of my page. i am very disappointed that they would sell something that would do this! it is unacceptable to me, but i don't know how to remedy it as so much time has gone by since i bought it last year and the techs i talked to insisted that it did not cut off part of the page.

thanks again!

Top Student
shwny
Message 9 of 16 (17,037 Views)

My wife just bought me a deskjet 3050a printer for Xmas I have just printed off some pics and they have this 1/2 inch blank border at the bottom.. these pics are useless to put into a 100x150 frame because there is not a full pic, just this stupid white blank bit on the bottom.  I shall be taking this printer back and getting a refund.

Top Student
shwny
Message 10 of 16 (17,035 Views)

I have just purchased a hp deskjet 3050a printer for Xmas and i have just printed off some pics and they have a 1/2 inch white gap at the bottom so they are not actually 100x150 prints. what is the point you can't put them in a 100x150 pic frame because of this stupid 1/2 gap at the bottom.. this printer is going back.It is not fit for purpose.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation