possible repair of an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless (6816 Views)
Tutor
mcf57
Message 1 of 30 (6,816 Views)

possible repair of an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless

[ Edited ]

I have a business collegue who was using a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless multi-function printer. They apparently got a "paper jam" warning that made the unit useless and they could no longer use it. They contacted HP and after checking all areas for jammed paper, they found none, but still got this error. They said that HP seems to think its hard drive has failed. I even went through all the online suggestions from HP's site with no avail. Its out of warranty & they just went ahead and got another HP printer.

Therefore, they gave me this 8500 model & I took it off their hands. I thought I would maybe tinker around with it since its pretty much now a useless paper weight & would of been given away anyway. I have built my own custom PCs and installed internal hard drives all the time so I have some PC knowledge. Is it possible to crack this thing open and maybe replace its hard drive? I have a few spare 20GB & 40GB drives I was thinking I could maybe use if possible.

What kind of drive is in this thing? Flash drive, IDE drive, SATA, etc.? Can it be accessed by a user at all for changing it or is it sort of sealed up in there? If so, is there maybe somewhere I can find a service manual of some kind for this 8500?

Tutor
hpelmo
Message 2 of 30 (6,786 Views)

Re: possible repair of an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless

THAT'S very interesting!!!  Please keep your progress posting - I might need to use it since my 8500 is "jammed".

Thanks!!!

Honor Student
craiger1528
Message 3 of 30 (6,471 Views)

Sorry, I don't have a repair...  But I have the same problem...  Less than thousand pages printed, out of warrantee, and a non-existant "jam".  I bought a "quality" printer thinking it would last. 

Student
petemcl
Message 4 of 30 (6,454 Views)

I have the same problem, a non-existent paper jam, with an HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier that has less than 1000 pages and is just out of warranty.  I read and followed all the HP online instructions instructions several times with negative results.  Finally in desperation tried HP help number which connected me to a third world person that was hard to understand (ticket #8046266524).  All he wanted to do is sell me a new printer.  He was no help at all.

Does anyone have a fix that works?  I'm convinced that there is no paper caught in this printer.  HP has had so many problems with this (complaints all over the internet) that they need to figure out what is wrong and send out a recall fix for these defective printers ASAP.

Top Student
Duker61
Message 5 of 30 (6,340 Views)

I could have written this post. I have the 8500 PRO. Same non-existent paper jam. 5 days out of warranty and the best HP could do was offer me "discount pricing" on a new one. I can find every printer they offered much cheaper online.  

I've used HP all my life.  I loved this product.  I hate this company's attitude.

Student
mtngeek
Message 6 of 30 (6,173 Views)

Same problem...I found the encoder strip (pn CB021-80007) laying inside the printer and a loose piece of shiny spring metal that appears to be what holds one end?  I figured out where this puppy goes but can't figure out how to attach the "spring" end.  After much research I'm sure this is my problem...I just need a diagram or picture to show me how to reattach it.

Top Student
ParisTim
Message 7 of 30 (5,977 Views)

Uh....  there is no "hard drive" in this printer.   Or in any other printer that I am aware of for that matter....

Student
christ2ya
Message 8 of 30 (5,489 Views)

I have the same issue & received NO support from HP - only the offer of a discount towards a new printer. This is my 3rd printer (it was also a warranty replacement) and I am disgusted @ the low quality HP has began to put out! They used to be a quality product but it appears that they have let quality go away.

I spoke with several repair companies & no-one wants to work on it.... Any ideas?

Top Student
Duker61
Message 9 of 30 (5,486 Views)

I bought a Brother MFC-J630W Printer. All the same functions. It doesn't seem as heavy duty but has wireless. It's worked flawlessly and came recommended by a local repair guy that wouldn't take the HP.

Are you listening HP??

Student
Suzce
Message 10 of 30 (5,447 Views)

I quit buying Canon products because of the BJC-5000 problems and no service -- Just junk.   Went to the HP 2000 and have been updating through the years.  My latest were the Office Pro8500 for work,  and the HP OfficePro L7650 for home.  Both are VERY DISAPPOINTING.   Just junk.   And, so HP I'm about to change brands again.   Lousy product--no wonder there is not service!  Shame!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation