Question

Student
palombojcr
Message 1 of 4 (10,169 Views)

printing from a dos based program with Windows 7

[ Edited ]

Hello:

We designed a Reservations system in a dos environment back in the eighties .... it is still being used in numerous hotels

..... we have migrate through all the windows platforms.

I know that the NET USE command should be working as it did in XP .... I can not get it to work

we just put in a whole new network with Windows 2008 Server and Windows 7 workstations.  I just installed a new HP Laserjet P4015n .... I am trying to get the following command to work:

net use lpt1:   \\computername\sharename  /persistent:yes

this does not work ...can anyone help me with this..... The HP can run either networked or via USB shared. 

I really would appreciate some help.. THANK YOU !

Regards

Mike Palombo  [text removed for privacy]

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 4 (10,149 Views)

Re: printing from a dos based program with Windows 7

I do not have a Windows 2008 system to test, but in Windows 7 the following cases worked for me:

1.  Installed a network (TCP/IP) printer on a Windows 7 machine and shared it.  On that Windows 7 machine the following  worked from a DOS prompt run as administrator: Net use LPT1: \\w7name\printershare /persistent:yes  
  2.   Installed the network printer on an XP machine and shared it.  On the Windows 7 machine the net use command worked, but prompted a username and password on the XP machine.

I noted that the NET USE command did not work in either case running from a normal DOS window, it needed to be run from an elevated DOS command (open the command prompt by right clicking and use "Run as Administrator".  In the first case I had an error 66, in the second case the printer share did not show up when running in a normal command window.

If using the elevated command does not work please provide more details of the failure including any error messages you see.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
CHARLESR
Message 3 of 4 (7,315 Views)

i HAVE A NEW "HP Deckjet 3050 j610 series" printer on a windows 7 operating system.  I woud like to stream date from old dase programs to the printer.  How???

Student
mwatson
Message 4 of 4 (5,529 Views)

We've seen this related to the UAC. We've noticed that when we lower the UAC to Never Notify, we are able to print from command line windows. Of course, this is not something you want to do on a regular basis across your domain's end-points, but it works in a pinch and may point to a better solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation