Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I now have a Windows 8.1 loaner from HP, and used it to compose this help file!   Thanks HP!   🙂

If Palm Desktop 6.2.2 only shows Media and Install, try this:  Right-click on the shortcut for Palm Desktop, then choose "Run as Administrator".  The other modules should appear.

To make Palm Desktop "Run as Administrator" every time in Windows 8/8.1:

Close Palm Desktop, if open.  (This is a very important thing to always do when using 6.2.2 - it has been known to lose data when a computer is shut down without closing the program!)

Right Click on the Palm Desktop Icon in the Metro screen, then choose "Open File Location".  You will now see the actual file for the shortcut.

Right-click on the "Palm Desktop" shortcut file, then Properties.  Now pick the Compatibility Tab at the top.

At the bottom of the Compatibility Tab is a checkbox:  "Run this Program as Administrator".  Put a check in the box, then click OK  to close the window.

Try opening Palm Desktop, all the modules should appear.  You may see a box open when you close the program asking "Did the program run correctly?"   I picked "Yes", and it's been working fine since then!

If you have an older PalmOS device (pre T|E for example)  and still can't see any data after trying the above, you may need to use the PalmHotSyncSetup program available from pimlicosoftware.com.  This will translate the databases from the older style to one Palm Desktop 6.2.2 can process.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I tried to download the palm metro sync sofrware from  pimlicosoftware but received a warning from my McAffee that the download contained viruses and spyware so I am afraid to complete the download.

I followed all of the other fixes on the forum for my devicewith some success but when I sync my Palm Metro none of the Outlook transfer.  I am able to sync the media files successfully.  Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks

HP Recommended

WyreNut - That happened to me on my personal laptop, so I tried your fix and it worked - thank you.  You're such a lifesaver!

Now I'm at work, and synced my phone to my office laptop.  After the sync, my calendar, contacts, memos and tasks are all gone.  It's not like my home laptop where only the media and install buttons show up.  The buttons show up but there's no data.  I tried importing from my backup, and it shows 0 records imported.  What do you think could be the problem?  The data files are not empty - they are large files.  But somehow today the information won't display.  Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@SJPatty - be sure the correct HotSync account name is being displayed by Palm Desktop.  It's possible a different account was created and that one is being displayed.

If the proper account is being shown, perhaps setting a "Handheld overwrites Desktop" hotsync should be arranged.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Yes, the account is correct.  I uninstalled, deleted folders, and reinstalled the program in case something was corrupt.  Then I changed hotsync to handheld overwrites PC on everything.  The media files are all there now which tells me it took the sync partially.  When I try to import the calendar from the dba file, I get the message that 0 records were imported.  Same thing if I use the Palm format for the memos, contacts and tasks.  I had previously exported my files to CSV's.  When I import those files, it comes through with weird stuff - categories mostly lost, protected items not there, etc.  Then I save, and close down.  When I open the program again everything's gone (except the media files).  That's why I think it could be related to whatever issue caused just the media and install buttons to show up at home yesterday.  There must be some new Windows update that came through in the last couple of days on Win7 and Win8 that caused these issues don't you think?  My Win8 updated a couple of days ago, and my Win7 (work laptop) updated just yesterday - coincidence?

HP Recommended

I found out how to fix it.

I have been having trouble since the new Windows patches came through.  

Right click on your shortcut and select Properties

Click on Open File Location

Right click on Palm.exe file and select Properties

Select Run as Administrator

Also select run as Windows 7

and apply.  

Try to sync again and it should show all of your options.

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention that you need to click on the compatibility tab to set it to run as Windows 7.

HP Recommended

Thank you! Great job.

This also works for Windows 10, by the way - which was my problem. 

Tx

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.