Question

Top Student
S_Kusch
Message 1 of 13 (17,107 Views)
Accepted Solution

4630 e-All-In-One Printer problem

I hooked up, installed, connected wireless, everything. Printer shows in printer devices, computer communicates with printer, everything seems in order until I go to print a document, picture, anything. Nothing happens. Tried uninstalling and loading from disc, and also hooked up a usb cable. Nothing.

Honor Student
dissedcus
Message 2 of 13 (17,089 Views)

Re: 4630 e-All-In-One Printer problem

Same problem.  I have installed a new 4630 officejet All-in-One Printer and can't print from computer with or without USB cable.  READY TO RETURN PRINTER TO STORE!

Honor Student
dissedcus
Message 3 of 13 (17,087 Views)

I have exactly the same issue. Wasted hours on it.
Retired
SuperMario1
Message 4 of 13 (17,072 Views)

Hello everyone. I understand you are experiencing issue where you are unable to print from the computer, USB or wireless. To begin troubleshooting the issue, I believe you should run the HP Print and Scan Doctor, since it might resolve the issue automatically. This HP document will explain how to utilize it, and contains a link to the download location: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03275041

This utility could potentially resolve the issue by itself. If it does not, please follow the remaining troubleshooting below. However, keep note of the errors that the utility indicates.

Before you do anything else, you should test the hardware of the printer. Please make a simple photocopy so functional hardware is confirmed. If the hardware is functional, the next step is to power cycle the relative network. This includes the printer, computer, and router and modem if the printer was using a wireless connection. To perform a power cycle, unplug the printer and shut down the computer. If you are using the printer wireless, unplug the router and modem. After everything is disconnected, turn everything on in the opposite order. Try to print now, and if the issue is not resolved, please continue with the following troubleshooting.

Next, go to Control Panel, then Devices and Printers. Right click on the printer and click on "See What's Printing". The print queue will open. Click on the Printer tab on the top-left corner. Please ensure "Use Printer Offline" is not checked. If it is checked, click on it. This will remove the check on that option.

If the issue is not yet resolved, I would recommend trying to reconnect the printer on a USB or wireless connection. To re-create a successful wireless connection, start the printer software (either the CD or download, whichever you utilized when initially installing the printer) and you should locate an option about connecting a new printer. Select that option, and then select wireless, then click next. If the software asks you to connect a USB cable for the connection, please connect it only at that point. Afterward, you will follow the remaining prompts, and a wireless connection will be generated before long. If you receive an error message or red x when attempting to do this, please stop troubleshooting and re-post with the exact error immediately.

If you are using the printer with a USB connection instead of wireless, the steps from the above paragraph are almost identical. Instead of selecting wireless as the connection type, you will select USB. The latter is exactly identical.

Go into Control Panel, then go into Devices and Printers (it could be named something different if it is not Windows 7 or 8, but the name is similar). Check that the printer is present and look for a green check-mark. If there is a yellow exclamation point, this indicates an issue with the device. You can right-click on the device, and select troubleshoot. This will resolve the issue, or tell you exactly why it couldn't be resolved.

Also, when in Devices and Printers, take note on how many different entries the printer exist. Please do not include the ones with "fax" in the name. You may have to attempt printing from each of the devices to see if one works, and that would be the entry utilized for printing.

I will conclude the troubleshooting at this point. Please attempt or re-attempt all of this troubleshooting, and let me know the results. More complicated troubleshooting will have to be performed if the issue persists.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
Top Student
S_Kusch
Message 5 of 13 (17,041 Views)

SOLVED. I took the printer back and got a new one. Works fine. Must have been that particular printer.

Top Student
S_Kusch
Message 6 of 13 (17,038 Views)

Did ALL of that. Took printer back and new one works fine. Sounds like a software problem that keeps popping up with several units.
Honor Student
stanfordshome
Message 7 of 13 (17,016 Views)

I have installed this printer several times both using wireless and usb, and still haven't gotten it to print an MS Word document.  It will print wireless using my iPhone however.  I don't understand why it doesn't work when I configure it as a usb printer?  I took it back and got another one, but it does the same thing!  My PC is an HP Pavilion a1750e running Windows Vista.  Please help!

Honor Student
stanfordshome
Message 8 of 13 (16,999 Views)

After spending over an hour on the phone with HP Technical Support we were not able to fix the issue.  His only recommendation for me was to upgrade my o/s to Windows 7.....thanks a lot HP! 

I decided to try the printer on one of my other systems which runs Windows XP....it worked!  Then I took the OfficeJet 7410 that I had been using on the Win XP system and installed it on my Vista system which wouldn't work with the OfficeJet 4630.  Yep, you guessed it....it works just fine!  Looks to me like there is a compatibility issue between the OfficeJet 4630 and Windows Vista....exactly what I told the HP Support guy.  But, of course, they wouldn't work with the Vista people to help me resolve the problem!  I wanted to use the 4630 (smaller footprint) on my Vista system, but I will have to be satisfied swapping the printers in order to get the 4630 to work for me.

This was not a good experience, and I hope HP will learn from this and do a better job of supporting their customers in the fufture.  BTW.....I worked for HP for over 30 years!

Honor Student
LMiller
Message 9 of 13 (16,968 Views)

I have tried all of the troubleshooting suggestions and none have worked. HP Technical Support has also been unable to fix the problem of not being able to print directly from my laptop. However, I can use the ePrint function. Hp sent me another printer and the problem remains. This has been going on for two weeks now. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Top Student
S_Kusch
Message 10 of 13 (16,865 Views)

Sorry to get back so late. I took the printer back and new one works fine. Definitely a software bug. By the way I was using Windows 8.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation