Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Pleaser answer the questions.  What is the IP of the printer?  What is the IP of the router?  What are the IP's of your computer, iPad and iPhones?

HP Recommended

how do you have each on a different band?

HP Recommended

Sorry - but it does work.  

I thought it wouldnt work either but it does work and I think I know what you are confusing.   My computer is connected to a 5ghz network.  So is my smartphone.  They both can print to my 2.4ghz connected hp printer.

If my dual band router's 5ghz network settings were set  for 802.11n  only and didnt support 20 you would be correct.

However -  look at  my settings:

router.png

HP Recommended

My mistake - I DIDN'T MEAN TO GIVE KUDOS to this post because  it is WRONG information.  

Here is how to make 5ghz connected devices print to HP wireless connected to 2.4ghz :

If you set the router's 5ghz settings as follows:

• set the Wireless mode option to    "802.11a  AND 802.11n" 
  • set bandwidth to "20/40mHz"

it works - you can have your 5ghz connected devices print to the HP 2.4ghz Wireless printer.  And my router is 3 years old!

HP Recommended

Thanks, that did the trick for me.

HP Recommended

Where do you go to change the settings?  Does this affect other electronics that are connected to the 5ghz?

HP Recommended

This would be no on this commment. I have been trying all morning to connect my 4630 to my new 5G and no luck. Finally contacted HP Support and my 4630 does not support 5G. Nada....

HP Recommended

@sanapier wrote:

This would be no on this commment. I have been trying all morning to connect my 4630 to my new 5G and no luck. Finally contacted HP Support and my 4630 does not support 5G. Nada....

That is correct.  Wireless printers don't support the 5G band, mainly because the distance is almost cut in half and you don't need the speed.  However any 5G device can print on a 2.4G printer.  Always have been able too.

Nothing to do with the frequency as long as they are both on the same subnet.  

HP Recommended

Hello all 

Just to add to had we had cases just like yours that printer and PC are on different bands and they work just fine no issues for years because then again like you said they have the same IP format and share the same network but on other cases it is totally imposible to get the communication established until one of them (PC most of the times) joins the 2.4 connection as stated the printer works only on 2.4 . What we've seen it's what it makes the different its the router some of them route packages better than others what causes a poor or good communication .when dealing with this issues we will normally ask the end user to turn off/disable 5 GHZ connection and continue on 2.4 

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution .
HP Recommended
You shouldn't have to do that at all. Most of the time AP isolation is turned on and it needs to be off.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.