Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am having FRUSTRATING alignment problems trying to print Avery business cards with my All In One "Photosmart" printer.  So using regular paper the alignment looks fantastic!  But try to print using the actual card stock, the alignment changes!!  I have tried tweaking the margins, use different templates, etc.  NOTHING WORKS!  What's the deal here?  And I am running out of business card paper which ain't cheap! 

So is there a solution?  Avery customer support says "not our problem...a hardware issue."  I thought I bought a special printer to handle these type applications.  But it seems at the end of the day, not so special at all.  

Anyone else having similar issue?  Is this a hopeless journey?? 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

In the Photosmart printers, there is a paper setting called, boarderless 8.5 x 11 (scroll way down to find it). If you set your paper setting to that it should solve the problem. I have found when I use any Avery products (no matter which ones, note cards, business cards, mailing labels, etc) there is always an alignment problem unless I change the setting to this. Once that is done, I don't have a problem.

Hope this helps you.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

HP Recommended
Can't find this option (or any paper setting options) on my HP 7275. Help!!!
HP Recommended

Hi flueln,

Can you please let me know which Operating System you are currently running. Please click here to obtain your OS if you are using a Windows computer . If you are using a MAC you can check this link to obtain the OS X version. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I'm using Windows 7

HP Recommended

Hi flueln,

Thank you for the quick response. Although the custom paper sizes are not supported on the Photosmart 7525,  there is a workaround. Please follow the steps for adding the Deskjet Driver 9800:

1. Go to Control Panel >> Devices and Printers and Add a Printer.

2. Select "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer."

3. Wait for Windows to find your printer on the network and select it, then click Next.

4. It should say "Install a printer driver" and present a list of manufacturers on the left and models on the right. Select HP and select "HP DeskJet 9800". Then click "Next". Make sure to uncheck the box when it asks you if you want to make it the default printer.

Now you can print custom sizes by going into your application (e.g., Microsoft Word) and selecting "Print", and then choosing HP DeskJet 9800 as your printer. Once you've selected this printer, click "Properties" and in the "Paper/Quality" tab, there's a dropdown of various paper sizes as well as a button that says "Custom". Success!

I got this helpful workaround on the HP Support Forums  posted by  HP7510_User. You can also check the original Solution Provided thread posted by WS0927.

Please let me know if you need more assistance.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Just maybe I found someone who can help me.  I have the same problem with my HP J5780 printer.  However, the only choce I had "borderless" was photo.  I tried that, but did print borderless, but not what I expected.

I can't figure this out.  Printing my business cards with my 6310 worked perfect for years.  I tried to find an update, but came back said "I didn't need the update".

I'm at a total loss as printing out on the Avery Clean Edge Business Cards.  When printing on plain paper, allgn up perfect.

I tried pushing the paper thru, but with only limited success.  the final two are way off.  The first row/two cards  usually are where they should be, but the 3rd & 4th cards are about 1/32nds inch too high, the fift 7 & 6th cards are compunded at about 1/16th inch too high, and the 7th & 8th cards are about 1/4 inch too high on Avery card.

I reload for "new' but that didn't help.

It appears is that the printer doesn't like the Avery business Cardstock.

I repeat, when I print out on plain paper, all are perfectly where they should be, aligned up perfect.

I cannot find suitable choice for cards in dialog box.

PLEASe, HELP ME!

[edited by Moderator]

HP Recommended

Hi @MoSkyAir ,

"Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I needed to edit your post and remove your email address. In accordance with  our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

Private Messaging is the best form of direct communication between individuals or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

You say use 9800 ???  I have HP Officejet J5700...don't understand why I have to download other than what I have...please explain.  Is there something in 9800 that makes my J5780 work

I've researched intems;ey and it appears it's a problem with the aprinter.  I had a 6300 & 6310 and both would print out on the Avery ok.  I printed out the the ltemplate with my info on it and wold print out ojay of plain paper okay, but whe [rinting out on the clean edgesnap out cards, it would be off very slightly on the first two cards across from each other, then about 1/16 ths of an inch too high on second row, then 1/16 inch too high on third row, and 1/4 inch on bottomm row. 

Appears as though roller or ??? isna't grabbing the snap out paper...possibly because of the snap out breaks tying up the roller or ???.  Never had that problem with the 6310, and printed out perfectly.

I wonder if a part causing this problem could be sought and installed to eliminate this proble.

However, possibly the roller was upadated/replaced as an improvement?

I tyri4d to apush and pull the smap out papeer thru, and could sort of improve the problem but not always with success.

HP Recommended

I've been haunted by this same issue when attempting to print borderless business cards on ANY HP Printer and for that matter ANY Printer.  So it is my opinion that it's not just HP but a battle between Avery & HP and ANY Other Printer company.

Exactly where the REAL issue lies is beyond my understanding.

I've been a computer technician since 1983 and started with IBM PC-XT and now run a i5 Quad Core 64-bit processor and have owned almost all of HPs printers and all versions of MS Office Word and Photoshop CS5 & 6 and NONE have been able to successfully been able to print borderless business cards on ANY Avery product.

What frustrates me is that major companies like Avery & HP will not STAND UP and be responsible for their products...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.