Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do I perform a cold reset of the LaserJet M1217 nfw MFP?  Is there a "restore factory defaults" switch hidden in the unit?  Is there a secret combination of buttons I can press when connecting the power plug to the unit? 

I can't use the the control panel button Settings feature, because the printer is caught in an endless cycle of Initializing and won't respond to pressing on any control panel buttons.  I connected an Ethernet cable to try to access web configuration, but it does not appear on the network. 

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi,

The following link is for M1217nfw (and for the whole M1210 series):

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01998773

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, unfortunately, pressing the Settings button does not work.  The printer seems to be stuck in an endless loop, even after rebooting.  Is there another way to activate a cold reset?  

HP Recommended

Same Issue with my 1217. Endless Loop  Message "Original HP Mat. Installed". Found no way to end that loop till now. Worked Fine in 2012 . Stopped working in 2013.

HP Recommended

NVRAM Initialization:
1. Turn the printer off.
2. Press and hold down CANCEL (X) and Start Copy (button just below the X button) buttons at the same time while powering on printer. *Keep these buttons press while you power on the printer*
3. Continue to hold down buttons until the printer display reads PERMANENT STORAGE INIT.
4. Release the buttons when "PERMANENT STORAGE INIT" is displayed. Printer will return to Ready automatically.

HP Recommended

This doesn't seem to cure the problem of continuously cycling from "Initializing" to "Ready" to "Printing FAX" and back to "Initializing."  Oddly, the printer seems to work fine ... even sending FAXes if you start the process during the "Ready" phase of the cycle.  Looking for more ideas!

HP Recommended

Hello haituitu,

your hint saved my day. Had a lot of troubles while initialising my Laserjet (he was stuck in a loop) and now all is fine. Thanks so much! That's what the internet was founded for 😉

HP Recommended

Hello all my HP  LaserJet M1217 nfw MFP displays and error on the screen.."No strings in RO" I have tried updating the firmware and performing a cold reset but error still remains the same. Please guys I need your sincere input.

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

Refer to Message 84 on the following thread below.

M1212nf fails to initialize after firmware update

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

Please check your private messages

If somebody sends you a message, there will be a blue envelope icon right beside the Log Out link. To check your message box, click on the envelope icon.

PM4.JPG

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.