Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi wilko-1,

This appears to be an issue with the Microsoft operating system. I would recommend not installing the printer until you have completed the update to Win 8.1. Once you have it updated, and all the additional updates you will want to download the file below to install the printer on Win 8.1. Please keep in mind that your printer C5180 was released long before this operating system was released. If you continue to have issues using this older printer on the new operating system you may want to consider upgrading to a newer printer.

Win 8.1 - Full Feature Software and Drivers

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

SAme issue of a wired office jet 4500 windows 8.1 (at 1st it would extract but not execute, finally gor it execute and get the same error???? teo days on this. I followed directions below..no help

HP Recommended

Hello lapdog4. I understand you are experiencing issues when installing your printer on Windows 8.1. I'm going to provide some troubleshooting steps which could resolve the issue. Before you do anything else, ensure you uninstall all your HP printer software utilizing the uninstall L3 method below:

a) On the keyboard, hit the Windows and "R" key, then type %temp% and hit enter.
b) Locate the correct folder starting with "7z" (the correct folder contains "Util" and "CCC" folders).
c) Open folder "Util".
d) Open folder "CCC".
e) Please run the L3uninstall.bat.
f) When the uninstall has completed, restart the computer.
g) Run Disk cleanup in "System Tools". I have provided information on how to do this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-c...
h) Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

As another precaution, I would prefer it if you create a new administrator user account, just in case there is some hidden corruption based off of your current user account. Although there is previous instruction in this thread bearing information on creating a new account, please follow these steps:

Run Command Prompt as Administrator, and in your Command Prompt window (as administrator), type the following and hit Enter: net user administrator /active:yes

You should see a message saying "the command completed successfully". After troubleshooting is done, you can disable this account by typing the following command into Command Prompt (as administrator): net user administrator /active:no. Restart the computer, and utilize the new account that is available, which should be named "Administrator". In this user account, proceed with the following:

a) On the keyboard, hit the Windows and "R" key, then type %temp% and hit enter.
b) Afterward, delete all files in the folder that appears.
c) Give full permissions to all the accounts in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software. To do that, right click on that key and click "Permissions...". Ensure you put check marks under each section under "Allow". Then click Apply and Ok.

d) Utilize the HP Printer Install Wizard to install the printer software. I have provided a document on how to do this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02073861

If the error still persists, please provide the entire error code (which is available after the error displays). I will require this information to continue troubleshooting.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
Well this just gave me a new error. The path c.\pr4.program files(x86) \hp\contains invalid character. After getting this error tried again and it extracted and went back and got a fatal error and it auto uninstalled. God I hate HP products....I knew better than to buy hp
HP Recommended

What was the new fatal error that was presented? Could you try the installation again then screenshot the error, or provide the full error code?

Mario

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problems as others and have followed the entire 8 pages of feedback to no avail.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit and trying to reinstall HP Premium All-in -one C410a printer.

I've used user accounts with same results and have even scanned my windows files using sfc /scannow.

One user recommended copying install files to desktop and change name to reflect name of folder where error message resides....

same result....ie, ...system can not find.......hpz140.exe

HP Recommended

Hello fwanupe. I understand you are also receiving a "system cannot find the file specified" error. I will do my best to assist you! First, I do want you to ensure you have followed the troubleshooting I suggested eariler: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/Install-Error-quot-The-system-cannot-f...

In those troubleshooting steps, I instruct to enable the Hidden Administrator Account of Windows 7. If the issue is not resolved, all further troubleshooting should be performed in this account.

The next step is performing a System File Check. To do this, run Command Prompt as administrator again. Type in this command and hit Enter afterward: sfc /scannow

SFC stands for System File Checker, and it scans and attempts to restore corrupted Windows files. Running this might find a corrupted file or service and repair it. After it completes it will basically say either no corrupted files were found, corrupted files were found and repaired, or corrupted files were found but were unable to be repaired. Restart after this completes and record your results.

Now, utilize the HP Printer Install Wizard to install the printer software. I have provided a document on how to do this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02691615

If the installation error occurs, perform another level 3 uninstall and restart the computer. Afterward, follow these advanced troubleshooting steps:

a) Go to the Start menu, and in the search bar type %temp% and hit enter. Afterward, delete all files in the window that appears.

b) Go to the Start menu, and in the search bar type REGEDIT and hit enter. Please backup the Windows Registry, which will appear after the command you entered. Instructions on how to backup the registry are located here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01817264
c) Give full permissions to all the accounts in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE. To do that, right click on that key and click "Permissions...". Ensure you put check marks under each section under "Allow". Then click Apply and Ok.
d) Next, in the Registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Enum, right-click on that key and click "permissions...".
e) Click "Add" in that Window that appears.
f) There will be an empty box under "Enter the object names to select". Type "Administrator" (without the quotes), then click on "Check Names".
g) An Administrator name will appear, click "Ok" when it does.
h) You should be able to select (click) the Administrator profile under "Group or user names". Once clicked, click on "Advanced".
i) Click on the "Owner" tab.
j) Click on the Administrator profile, then put the check-mark in "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".
k) Go back to the "Permissions" tab, and ensure the Administrator profile is selected.
l) In the "Permissions" tab, put a check-mark in every box available. The boxes will likely be indicated by "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" and "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object".
m) Next, click "Edit". Put a chark-mark in "Full Control" under Allow. Click Ok. Now, click Apply (you may receive a Window security message, just click "Yes"), then Ok.
n) Exit the Registry, then restart the computer, and launch the Administrator account.

Next, I want to re-register the Windows Installer service. To do this properly, please enter CMD as administrator and type the following commands (hit enter after the first command):

msiexec /unregister

msiexec /regserver

While in the command prompt windows, I would like to provide any full permissions to anything that might not have full permissions, for some reason. Please type in this command and hit enter: icacls "C:\Config.Msi" /T /C /grant administrators:F

Try to install the printer again, utilizing the Printer Install Wizard. If the error still persists, please provide the entire error code (which is available after the error displays). I will require this information to continue troubleshooting. Reinstalling Windows might be required, in the end.

Anyway, please respond when you can. I'm only here to help!

Mario

HP Recommended

I've followed your advice and made it down to

While in the command prompt windows, I would like to provide any full permissions to anything that might not have full permissions, for some reason. Please type in this command and hit enter: icacls "C:\Config.Msi" /T /C /grant administrators:F

However, when I enter the command I got an invalid "/C" command

I typed the command as follows:

icacls space "C:\config.msi" space /T/C space grant space administrators:F

I also received error situation code 06067366 while following your earlier instructions,ie, something to do with nonlaunching = x:\hpzpr140.exe - inf -m preload drivers

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. The only solution that remains is to reinstall Windows. Once it is reinstalled, the issue will be resolved. I have provided information on how to reinstall Windows 7.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mario

HP Recommended

thanks....

I'll consider your recommendation...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.