Question

Student
WhataNuisance
Message 1 of 6 (15,595 Views)

Installed Office 2010 - Cant print from Excel

Have recently installed the latest Microsoft Office 2010 package, but I am no longer able to print from Excel.

A box appears saying that Excel has encountered a problem and shuts down the programme. 

Keep getting messages saying I should update my drivers, but the drivers are all up to date.

I can print from all other areas from this package.

Is there a known problem with Microsoft Office 2010 and the HP Printers (C7280)

Intern
ranz12oo5
Message 2 of 6 (15,587 Views)

Re: Installed Office 2010 - Cant print from Excel

You can try to uninstall and reinstall the MIcrosoft Office 2010 on your computer.

What is your operating system on your computer?

The c7280 printer doesn't hae any problem because you were able to print from other applications except from excel. After you uninstalled and reinstalled the software and still won't work. You can try checking with microsoft to verify if there could be any issues with your printer.

BPH Honor Student
Honor Student
BPH
Message 3 of 6 (15,540 Views)

Installed Office 2010 - Can't print from Excel on any PhotoSmart model

We've been moving to Excel 2010 in my office, and have the same problem when printing to any PhotoSmart printer from Excel 2010.  All are running XP, and experienced no problems printing until Excel 2010 was installed.  This happens o a variety of PCs and HP PhotoSmart models, including the HP-8250, HP-C7280, HP-C6180 and HP-D5360.  It occurs when the user changes something on the page properties, such as layout or margins.  If no change is made, it (usually) prints OK. No problem notes (so far) with DeskJet or LaserJet or OfficeJet models, only PhotoSmart.  We've updated drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, searched HP and Microsoft and other support sites, but can't find an answer. It seems to fail on all PhotoSmart models and PCs we have.  

This problem is preventing us from rolling out Excel 2010 to the whole company.  Only thing that has worked so far is to install a HP 660C driver, and point it to the PhotosSmart port, then select this printer when using Excel. The PhotoSmart then prints as DeskJet.  We've tried this on a couple of PC/Printers with success, but I don't know if it will work on them all.  Nevertheless, this is a shabby temporary solution.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Student
yankeecackle
Message 4 of 6 (15,137 Views)

Re: Installed Office 2010 - Can't print from Excel on any PhotoSmart model

BPH i have the same problem and cant seem to find a solution.

BPH Honor Student
Honor Student
BPH
Message 5 of 6 (14,728 Views)

Re: Installed Office 2010 - Can't print from Excel on any PhotoSmart model

Sorry I hadn't noticed your post sooner.  I spent quite a bit of time (and money) with both HP and Microsoft.  The issue is outdated drivers about which Microsoft says it is HP's problem, and HP says they will not fix.  They say that they cannot be expected to update drivers for all software for all models forever. 

here is the solution I found works: The idea here is that the PhotoSmart is backward compatible with older HP Deskjet printers.  So, create an older printer, and assign it to the same USB port as the PhotoSmart, and select that printer when using Excel 2010.  This has worked in every instance which I used it.

1.  Click on the XP Start menu.
2.  Select "Printers & Faxes"
3.  Select "Add A Printer" from Printer tasks.
4.  This should open the "Add Printers Wizard" Select "Next" to continue.
5.  The next screen asks if you want to add a local or network printer.  Click the radio button for "Local Printer".  Uncheck "Automatically Detect Plug & Play" , then click "Next".
6.  The next screen asks to select a port.  Select the port assigned to your PhotoSmart printer.
7.  The next screen asks to select the make and model of printer.  Select "HP" as the make, then select HP DeskJet 660C as the model (Or HP DeskJet 990C). Click "Next".
8.  Assign the printer a name, such as "Printer For Excel" or whatever name you prefer.  Check "No" in response to "Do You Want To Use This Printer As Default Printer?"
9.  On the Printer Sharing screen, check "Do Not Share This Printer".
10. Click "No" in response to "Do You Want To Print A Test Page?"
11. Click "Finish".
12. XP should install the drivers, and an icon for the new printer should appear in your selection of printers
13. Right click on the icon for the printer you just created
    a. Click File. Then click Properties
    b. Select the Ports tab
    c. Make sure the checkbox for the port is the one that has the PhotoSmart next to it.
    d. Click Close
14.  Now try to print from Excel 2010.  Make sure you select the printer you named in step 8 above.

=================
As an alternative: Office 2010 makes it easy to print to a PDF.  So, instead of printing directly to your PhotoSmart, first print to a PDF within Excel, then print the PDF to your PhotoSmart using  Adobe Reader.
You may need to select an different make or model of printer before making any document changes.  The typical installation of Office 2010 has at least one other printer driver installed, such as "Microsoft XPS Document Writer".
When you are ready to print
Select File Tab
Select Save & Send
Select Create XPS/PDF Document
A file dialog box appears:
Select the location where you want the PDF to be created
Enter a file name for the PDF
Make sure "Save As Type" is set to PDF.
Select "Publish"
Open Adobe Reader, or go to the file specified in "d' above.  Open the file in Adobe Reader, then print to your PhotoSmart

Student
cjbisinger
Message 6 of 6 (11,745 Views)

Re: Installed Office 2010 - Cant print from Excel

I can't print using the HP Officejet 6500 printer.  I can print WORD but not EXCEL

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation