PhotoSmart Plus B209a-m Wifi Issues (29989 Views)
Honor Student
auremmie
Message 1 of 13 (29,989 Views)

PhotoSmart Plus B209a-m Wifi Issues

Hi,

I've got a B209A which won't sign onto my wifi network. I've plugged it in, done the initial OSD setup, hooked it up via USB to my Mac (OSX 10.5.8), installed the provided software.

When I open the HP Setup Assistant to setup the wifi connection it sees my network (including multiple APs on the same SSID; same when I print the network diagnostics page) but when I try and get it to sign up to one of them it just gives me "Looking for network : "*********"." and stalls (operational but no feedback). I've attempted the same thing with a Windows box as well but got similar results (although the setup app wasn't as elegant).

Anyone have any ideas? Does this have anything to do with multiple APs using the same SSID (even though a normal computer roams across the network happily)? It's my only going theory but the confusing thing is it clearly identifies the separate APs with thier respective MACs and different signal strengths. Have tried being signed to the network and not to see if anything hinky was being picked up from my computer settings (getting desperate).

Thoughts, comments, plans of attack anyone?

Rgds,

Jock
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 13 (29,978 Views)

Re: PhotoSmart Plus B209a-m Wifi Issues

You could try turning off all additional AP's, and keep only the router on and retry the wireless setup. Once the printer connects, turn on the AP's.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
auremmie
Message 3 of 13 (30,077 Views)

Dexter,

Thank you for the obvious response.  It presents a small issue when the APs are integrated into the walls and can't be individually powered down without pulling apart wall panelling, etc.  Was missing the obvious though, just reconfigure all the APs to a different SSID and leave the closest on the original.

My question now is will it retain it's AP association when the printer is powered down; considering I have things up and running and there's 10 APs to reconfigure each time I loathed to test the theory for HP's bug.

How do we go about lodging a proper bug to get this problem resolved?

The bug summary; HP B209a in an environment running multiple APs with the same SSID will not successfully sign up to any AP even though it see's multiple APs and you select a specific one.

Rgds,

remmie

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 13 (30,065 Views)

auremmie wrote:

My question now is will it retain it's AP association when the printer is powered down; 

Yes, it will.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
jbberg13
Message 5 of 13 (29,380 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I think I have the same issue as auremmie (I can't get my HP wireless printer to recognize my network because my wireless SSID shows up twice in the available networks), however I am more of a novice user and do not know what "AP"s are that you are referring to and how I turn one of them off temporarily.   Can you help me turn off one of my "AP"s so I only have one SSID to pick from?

Best regards.

JB

Grad Student
tinuwangiro
Message 6 of 13 (29,345 Views)

AP = access point. How many routers do you have there?

(i may represent HP but this advice is solely my own)
Student
Saguaro9876
Message 7 of 13 (29,319 Views)

I have been having a similar problem..I keep getting messages such as passphrase on printer does not match exactly and Need WPA security phassphrase for your printer.  Someone else installed the wireless router and does not remember the codes.  Any one out there with any sugestions?  Tried everything I know including completely reinstalling the printer.  Will try disconnecting the AP's.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 8 of 13 (29,313 Views)

Just download and run the HP Network Diagnostic Utility on a laptop\desktop that is connected to the router wirelessly and not by and ethernet cable, and you'll be able to find out the WPA passphrase of your router.

Link

I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
Ratna
Message 9 of 13 (29,298 Views)

Hi all,

This printer will need a WPS (Wifi protected setup) router. The wireless function will not work without the WPS router. You can set it up on adhoc network, if the wps router is not available.

Thanks

Ratna

Your time is up **** My time is now
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 10 of 13 (29,231 Views)

The printer doesn't "need" a router with WPS. This is merely a luxury. The installation software includes the module to configure the printer wirelessly by connecting the USB cable temporarily and transferring the wireless settings through it. Just run the installation, select Wireless connection, and follow the instructions.

I am an ex-HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation