Question

Honor Student
rmb-baldor
Message 1 of 9 (14,366 Views)
Accepted Solution

Scan to email using gmail as SMTP

I have an HP Office Jet Pro 8600 N911g printer.  I have this currently setup with the scan to network folder working great.  I would like to set the scan to email.  As the corporate office uses exchange I have to use another service for SMTP.  I setup a Gmail account and puched in the appropriate settings, but the unit fails to connect to gmail.  I've tried multiple ports without success, I've also tried setting up the email server settings, again trying multiple ports without success.  I've tried using every combination using SSL and SMTP authentication, but nothing seems to connect.

Does gmail actually work, I've seen some say yes, others say no.  Is there another service that would work outside my corporate network or do I need to setup an internal email server, just so I can scan to emails?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 9 (14,358 Views)

Re: Scan to email using gmail as SMTP

Hi,

Try following the exact steps below and check if that may help:

1. Click the network setting on the printer and locate its IP Address.
  2. Type that IP  from the browser on your PC to access its EWS page.
  3. Click the Scan tab.
  4. Under Scan to E-mail click Outgoing Email Profiles.
  5. Click New.
  6. Type your email address and any selected Display name, then click Next.
    Note: be sure to take a note of the specific Display Name.
  7. Fill the mail settings as following:
    - smtp.gmail.com
    - Check the box next to SSL
    - Check the box next to the SMTP Authentication option
    - Type your full gmail address as teh user name and type the gmail password.
  8. Click Next and dontinue following the steps till teh Summary, then click Save and Test.

If the Test fails for any connectivity issue continmue following the steps below:

1. Click the Network tab.
  2. Under the active connection type section click IPv4 (Wired / Wireless).
  3. Keep the IP Address Configuration as exists, under the DNS Address Configuration check the box next to Manual DNS Server.
  4. Set the Preferred DNS as 8.8.8.8
  5. Set the Alternate DNS as 8.8.4.4
  6. Click the Scan tab and click on Outgoing Email Profiles again.
  7. Click the Test button next to the Display Name configured earlier and check foir any difference.

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
rmb-baldor
Message 3 of 9 (14,352 Views)

Thank you very much.  This works.

Student
BrettM
Message 4 of 9 (13,726 Views)

I have setup scan to email successfully but have not been able to setup a scan to Evernote - what is the "SMTP Server" address that I should use?

My thanks,

Brett

Student
Chris_Horn
Message 5 of 9 (12,397 Views)

Thank You!

Great Solution that worked perfectly.  I've been IT for years and sometimes its the simple things that'll get you the worst.  Reading your post reminded me to go check DNS settings and lo-and-behold they weren't even set.

-Chris Horn

Student
thmilin
Message 6 of 9 (12,158 Views)

Have tried these steps and followed other threads - it seems to be an issue of talking to the Google side. I tried from the product touch screen to set up Google Docs but it refuses to recognize my password.

For scan to email, I tried from both the direct 10.1.10.14 UI browser access to change these settings, and tried also from the HP supplied software to change these settings. I even went back to my Google Account to reset the password. I can log into all my Google stuff from browsers just fine with the credentials - but when I enter them into the printer browser, the printer touch screen, and the HP software on my computer -- all of them reject the credentials no matter what I do. I've followed all your steps listed here.

Do you have other reports of people not being able to get Gmail SMTP to recognize properly entered credentials?

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 7 of 9 (12,119 Views)

Hi thmilin. What is the model number of you printer?

<How Do I Find My Printer Model Number>: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bud09626

What is the exact SMTP info you are entering for Gmail?
(Please do not post your email or password, just the public info you are using).

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Student
missirlou
Message 8 of 9 (9,870 Views)

My printer's model name is HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus and I all the tests I made failed too. I've tried all the above solutions but nothing worked. I've tried both ports 465 and 587 and in my Gmail's settings "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" is enabled. Could you please help me?

Student
lidiab
Message 9 of 9 (3,199 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for your solution, however I am an old senior and don't  understand ''what and where to click'' ot what the acronyms mean.

Could someone please simplify?

Thanks,

Lidiab

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation