Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

In my case I had to disable permanently until the installation was finished.  After that I restarted the computer.  Test the features on the printer and then turn on the firewall and Real Time scanning in McAfee.  Then at last I retest it the features in the printer and voila!!!  It's been working fine unto now!!!

HP Recommended

Removing the file you suggested has now enabled the software instillation

However at the final point of instillation I get a message warrning box of a Fatal Error. I have allowed the software to send the error messages and used the HP  and had a a Trouble shooting wizard installed on the PC to resolve the problems but still getting the Fatal Error message after trying all suggested solutions.

SO one step forward 10 steps back.

Steve

HP Recommended

I don't know if you have a fix for this or are still interested but I have the same problem. I have two machines, a Dell XPS and a Dell Inspiron laptop. They both are win 8.1, Intel I7s with plenty of memory. I was able to install on the desktop but when I tried it on the laptop it would fail on install. I tried to uninstall HP aplications, but the uninstaller did not finish correctly and seems to be haning up any further progress. In the installed software list I have a HP Udate program that it refuses to uninstall because "it needs to finish the installation first". 

I bought the machines with Win 8.0 and upgraded through Microsoft to 8.1. It patches automatically so both shoul dbe the latest and greatest. I am trying to install my HP 7310 All in One. It works perfectly with the Desktop. It is on my local network and has been for years. I downloaded the software for the printer from the HP site. It is the full software package for this printer.  I can use Windows add a printer and at least get it to print. However I cannot install the scanner on the laptop. 

I would greatly appreciate andy advice that you could provide. I tried installing with only the virus protection turned off and the firewall turned on without sucess. Then I turned off the firewall and tried again. Then I uninstalled McAfee and tried again. I have MS Defender on the system now. I hate McAfee but when I got the machine it did not giver me the choice of not intalling it. After it was installed I had difficulty getting it to stay off, it kept reincarnating which is why I finally shot it.   

Perhaps you could provide some advice on HP service. Is there any place I could pay for a online service call to fix this? I am really tired of this.

I hope the new printers have much better software. I have owned several HP printers in the past and their software always seems to be problematical and has a marginal interface. I really like HP Printers but the SW drives me nuts.

HP Recommended

Please take a look at this document

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04206080

In addition to the details in this document I would recommend TURNING OFF REALTIME SCANNING when you have MCAFFEE LIVESAFE 2014 installed.

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

This worked for me, the installation issue is fixed, but the scanner still not working. I am getting the following message:

The HP imaging device was not found. Try fhe following steps, try scanning again.

-Turn off and then unplug the device, wait 60 seconds, and plug in and turn on the device.

-Make sure that the device's  power cord and cable are properly attached, plugged in, and the device is on.

-Reboot the computer.

-Uninstall and reinstall the device.

-Reinstall the HP Photomart software that came with the device.

Show extended error information

-     8,[1,0, -2147024770)]

BTW - I am trying to get this fix for a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A909a all in one Printer/Scanner

HP Recommended

Printer is HP all in one 5610

Windows 8.1 came installed in new dell computer

If there was an update it was done automatically

Computer is connected via wifi to Netgear R7000 router

HP Recommended

I was trying to download from web

HP Recommended

@handms wrote:

I was trying to download from web

Hi there,

Although you have made two posts to this thread, your posts have no real information in them and without some indea of waht your problem is we cannot really be much help.

Please read the whole of this thread to understand what other users are reporting as problems and how the information in this thread has helped them.

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

JonW

-Windows 8.1

-B209a on wireless network

-New toshiba C55 Laptop

-downloaded driver photosmart B209a

-after self-extraction was completed.....nothing happens.

-repeated process...same result

-printer icon is seen in devices and printers/control panel - but scanner doesn't work with Windows 8.1 Scanner nor AiO

-I can access printer via IP address and web-tools are active

-I would like the HP Solutions icon and software to use scanner

thanks in advance

HP Recommended

Big Thumbs up for Jon W.  The process described in this doc that you referred to in the earlier post worked perfectly for me.  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04206080

I also had to eliminate the old download - didn't know it but it was hung up running in the background and wouldn't shut down when I tried to delete it from the download folder. 

Also downloaded and used HP Printer and Scan Doctor, which stepped through the process with no hang up, after identifying htat I didn't have a full driver downloaded.

Also turned off McAfee Auto scan - per direction of Jon W in earlier post.

I literally spent 6 hours on this issue today - and I'm glad it's resolved.  thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.