Question

Student
andythinkpad
Message 1 of 18 (9,992 Views)

laserjet 1022 on windows 7 64-bit

When I connect and power on my LaserJet 1022 to my Windows 7 64-bit notebook (Thinkpad 420s), the Windows USB driver installation fails with the message "" Device driver software was not successfully installed" and "no driver found".  I searched HP for a driver for the 1022 and found one for Windows 7 64-bit -- HP LaserJet Hostbased Plug and Play Basic Driver, 2010-11-09 , Version:2.0, 2.82M.  It doesn't install.  It behaves as if the USB cable is not plugged in and says "waiting for user to connect USB cable."

The same printer and same USB cable work on my Mac, and the USB plug-in activates the driver install, so I'm confident  the hardware is ok.  Meanwhile, Windows 7 Device Mgr says no driver is required and the device is working properly. The Windows troubleshooter runs into the same brick wall so I cannot even find an option to try to print a test page. The HP Diag tool (HPPDU.EXE) doesn't even see the printer either.

The driver notes also say "If you are upgrading the print driver, use the "HP LaserJet 1020-1022 Driver" package rather than this "Plug and Play Package"." but I cannot find any such driver package or other driver package for that matter.  I've also searched Microsoft for drivers.

Thanks for any help!

Honor Student
mrensley
Message 2 of 18 (9,827 Views)

Re: laserjet 1022 on windows 7 64-bit

I have the same issue

Honor Student
Electronza
Message 3 of 18 (9,771 Views)

Same issue- this is ridiculous. Tried different usb ports and drivers. It stops at the point where it is waiting for the usb cable to be plugged in. this printer works fine on XP and a Vista machines.

So frustrating!

Honor Student
Electronza
Message 4 of 18 (9,769 Views)

Got it to work eventually.

I extracted the lj1020-HB-pnp-win64-en.exe to a folder. I still could not install using the setup file, so then i went to devices and printers. Found the unrecognized laserjet 1022 at the bottom of that window. Open the laserjet 1022, then go to properties, then choose hardware tab, click on properties again, then eventualy you are able to get to drivers. Then manually install the driver from the folder you extracted it to. It gives a warning about unsigned drivers, but allow it to install anyway.

Finally this printer is shared from an xp machine. To get it to work i first installed it using usb as above, then changed it's port to lpt1 (a real oldie trick) and then in cmd prompt typed  "net share lpt1: \\computer-name\printer-share-name" in my case the printer-share-name is hplaserj

Associate Professor
AuntieEm
Message 5 of 18 (9,614 Views)

Please see if these instuctions will help you out:

The link is here: LJ 1022 driver

Steps to load:

1. Download driver

2. Click Run

3. Click "I accept" check box then the  next button.

4.Plug in USB cable when the Connect via the USB port screen comes up. You should get the pop up in the bottom right hand screen that says: "Installing device driver software"

5. When pop up disappears, drivers have been loaded, cancel out of ALL remaining screens and the pop up that ask if you are sure you want to cancel.

6. Go to Devices and Printers folder

7. Look for HP LaserJet 1022 printer (should have green check mark on it)

8. Driver has been successfully loaded.

Make sure all previous attempts have been deleted from device and printer folders AND you have rebooted your computer.

driver1.PNG

driver2.PNG

driver3.PNG

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

Top Student
Fluke
Message 6 of 18 (9,467 Views)

I have the same problem in same Win7 64

Associate Professor
AuntieEm
Message 7 of 18 (9,462 Views)

Re: Cannot get HP Laserjet 1022 printer to install under Vista 32 bit.

First, thank you all for being patient with me as I try to resolve this issue. Here is the resolutions (you have 3 options)... :smileyhappy:

1. The drivers posted on hp.com do work. We have been tested them all week, on several different test systems and have been able to get them to load and print every time successfully in both the 32 and 64 bit environment,

2. I have created a document (see attached) that has 3 different install methods. Again, these install methods have been tested several times this week on several different system and all have worked successfully, both in printing test pages and in printing from Word, in the 32 and 64 bit environments.

3. If you have downloaded drivers from different languages and you want to clean them off your system, you will need to delete everything that has LJ1020 or LJ 1022 associated with it. This means removing everything from the driver store and from all HP folders. You will need to look in your Print Server Properties (at the top of your device manager, make sure you have at least one driver with a green check mark on it and it isn't the LJ1022 so you can see the Print Server Properties) and delete the driver and package from here. As well as delete the LJ1022 folders from your C://Program files and your recycle bin. Then make sure your reboot your computer BEFORE you try and reinstall anything. You may have to do this a couple of time before everything is off your system

I am an HP employee.

Honor Student
SujalAjmera
Message 8 of 18 (9,222 Views)

I have a Windows 7 (64 Bit laptop) and wish to connect to a printer installed on a server HP Laserjet 1022. All I can get from HP's website are drivers for host plug and play only. This doesn't help. Can I get just the drivers / inf file?

Student
hughw
Message 9 of 18 (9,173 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the document - method 3 in it worked perfectly for me. (win7-x64)

Associate Professor
AuntieEm
Message 10 of 18 (9,142 Views)

SujalAjmera,

For the win7 OS, the only available driver is the plug and play driver.

I am an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation