Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had the same problem. Wouldn't turn off then when I got it off, wouldn't turn back on. Finally got it sorted out:

1. unplug printer

2. press and hold power button for 30 seconds

3. plug printer into wall

4. power on (had to hold power button a few secs afte switching wall sockets)

HP Recommended

Didn't work for me. When I plugged the printer back in, it came on without me pressing the Power button. Pressing the Power button or even holding it down does not turn it off. As long as it is plugged in, the Power button is nonfunctional.

HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same problem again. I original bought this printer in July 2013. About year later I had the problem. In August 14 my Pro 8600 Plus was replaced by a new one due to the problem. Today I came to the conclusion that the replacement has the same problem. I already tried to unplug for 30 sec, update the firmware to ..1516AR. But no solution.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, none of the "tricks" provided in this thread do help in my case. The power button is still entirely unresponsive.  Can somebody confirm that this is definitely a hardware issue?

HP Recommended

I gave up. Nothing I've tried will turn off the printer. Now the LCD display is becoming unreadable.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue in my printer. HP never got back on this. this is the worst company I have ever seen. Sucks customer service.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, this problem resurfaced. The power button will pulse light but it is dead. Does nothing. However, I have fixed my issue to my own satisfaction and am happily using my printer. 

I simply bought another switched power strip exclusively for the printer. I  plug the printer into the power strip and use that on/off switch. 

It's not pretty but it works. My printer is full function and I'll keep using in until it breaks completely. 

I had an HP (6510 I think) that lasted from 2005 until 2013 without any problems. I only replaced it because I manhandled the lid and broke the hinges. That's 10 years without a problem of any kind (if you factor in the time I used duct tape for a makeshift hinge 😄 ). That built up a lot of loyalty points for me and although this looks like a design issue, I'll probably replace this one with another HP. I don't think I spent much on this printer at all so I'm still good.

HP Recommended
Well, I dont deny they print good but what you did is a makeshift arrangement.

Why is HP not willing to accept the problem and fix it for all. They are giving lame excuse.

Loyalty is one aspect to it but this is ease if use and a valid customer usecase.
HP Recommended

I don't disagree with you. It looks like a bad design and brings up the question of what else could break. There also should be something coming from HP that is easy and painless to do. However, I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

I just want to use my printer and now I can.

HP Recommended

My guess is that this is a hardware problem involving a defective part in the power button mechanism. I doubt that it's fixable and the printer is still functional. 

However, now my LCD display is going bad. I can barely read it. If and when it goes completely out, the printer will be useless.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.