Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6500 E709n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Officejet 6500 E709n and have a error message when I try to scan through HP Solution Center "The scan cannot be performed because another program or computer is using the neworked HP imaging device"  and a error code 8[(018-2147467259)].  I recently upgraded to Windows 10.  Have run HP scan doctor and everthing is fine expect when I run the test scan I get the same message.  I have tried the solutions I found on the HP trouble shooting for the specific printer but they have not worked and have reinstall the software severial times.  Scan work fine on other computer throught HP solution center.

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @gators1307,

I read your post about the error message "The scan cannot be performed because another program or computer is using the networked HP imaging device" you are noticing when attempting to scan through Solution Center on your Windows 10 system, and wanted to reach out to try to help you through this. I would suggest trying an "in-depth" uninstall (Level 3 uninstall), to completely remove all of the printer components from your system, and try installing the driver and software fresh on you computer, to see if this helps. Please follow the steps below in order and reply back to me when you are done with the results!

1. Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%
  2. Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted
  3. Download the software and choose to save as, save to desktop: HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver
  4. After the software downloads and extracts, open the temp folder again, use the instructions from step 1.
  5. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)
  6. Open folder Util
  7. Open folder CCC
  8. Run the L3uninstall.exe or Uninstall L3.bat
  9. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
  10. Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.

• Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /unregister, and then click OK.
    • Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK
       *Note: there is a space between the c and the /

If you have any difficulty with this step, please use this link to perform it another way. Restarting Windows Installer

11. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool < How to Delete files using Disk Cleanup
  12. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
  13. Restart the computer
  14. Download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows
  15. Try scanning again!

I wish you luck and hope these steps help you!

If you wish to say "thanks" for my efforts to assist you, click the thumbs up icon below!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have upgraded to windows 10 and have the same error message when I try to scan a document.  I am using an HP Officejet Pro 8500 wireless A909g connected to a non HP computer.  I have tried removing and reinstalling the full software several times and no joy.  Everything function but scan.  I read your post on how to fix the problem but it is specific to an HP computer.  In step 8 what is the name of the uninstall file I should run on a non HP computer and are there any other differences I should be aware of? Hope you can help me. 

HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @Billingsgate,

I saw your post about the same scanning issue as above, and yes you can try the same steps on a non HP computer as well. You might see the Level 3 uninstall labelled as L3Uninstall.bat, which is still the Level 3 uninstall. Let me know if you run into any issues and I will do my best to help!

Thank you:)

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help, but the problem is not resolved.  

I followed your instructions and in the CCC file  found 4 files with the following format Uninstall_Ln where n has a vaue in the range 1 thru 4.  I ran the one with 3 in the file name.  It started to remove the software but failed on step 10/12 78% complete with the following error message 'HP installer uninstaller has stopped working,  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.'  When I closed the program it restarted and prompted me to remove other components,  This failure of the uninstall had occured when I first tred to install the full software.

When I came to reinstall the software, the installer thought the software was still installed as it only offered me the choice of uninstall or exit.  I chose to uninstall and the install.  Sothe printer is now back up but no scanning function.  Any other suggestions? 

HP Recommended

@Billingsgate,

I got your message about your computer not fully running the Level 3 uninstall. Perhaps try running a System  File Checker Scan to see if any corrupt system files can be detected and fixed, and then try running the Level 3 uninstall again.

You can run the scan up to three times.

Here are the instructions on how to run the SFC scan: System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files

Keep me posted on the outcome.

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Rainbow 7000:

I got to item 8  and do not have a file L3uninstall.exe  ( I do have a HP computer).  There is a CCC Uninstaller .exe and there is a Uninstall L3.bat.  I did a search for L3uninstall.exe and could not find it on the computer.

HP Recommended

Hi @gators1307,

Yes, try the Uninstall L3.bat and it should work.

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Rainbow7000:

When through all the steps and I still get the same message.  One issue was when I followed step 10 and typed in the information the only thing that happened was the run window went away.

HP Recommended

Hi @gators1307,

When the steps for unregistering and registering the Microsoft Windows Installer did not work, did you try the other method I mentioned? (Restarting Windows Installer)

What happens then?

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.