Question

Student
Jonee
Message 21 of 26 (1,699 Views)

Re: HP 6500 Wireless BLACK INK ONLY

If there is a solution, why didn't you post it here?  I am so DONE with HP printers!  The print quality is good, but it's not worth the constant pop-up boxes 15 times before you need to replace a color cartridge, 15 times after you've just replaced the color cartridge, error messages, tiny & ridiculously expensive color ink cartridges -- with 6 of them you ALWAYS get low ink warnings, inability to print black&white so now I'm stuck at home on a Sunday morning absolutely needing to print a black & white document that I can't print because I don't have a Magenta cartridge.  HP SUCKS.  No more HP for me.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 22 of 26 (1,695 Views)

johnbr549 wrote:

HMM. I'm having trouble with black ink not working ive ran all of the ink troubleshooting but all is ok. my black ink will not print. i cant seem to figure it out. ive cleaned everything and changed like 3 cartridges thinking it maybe in those, but i guess not i still cant get black ink to print out. it was fine a few days agao, untill i changed the cartridges wow. colors are working fine. So if anyone other then HP can help id appreciate it. i cant get them to resolve my issue. i guess they dont get what ive been trying to tell them. ugh....

The steps in this page may help.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
dannyboy801
Message 23 of 26 (1,661 Views)

Heres the solution-

After buying ink, resetting the printer a dozen times and manually cleaning the print heads and attempting new driver install:

Sequence:

1) go to Control Panel

2) Printers

3) Left click on printer to highlight

4) Right click to drop down menu

5) Select "Properties"

6) Select "Printing Preferences" tab at bottom

7) Select " Printer Services" tab at bottom

8) Select " Services" tab at top

9) Select "Clean the Printheads" Icon

Sit back 2 minutes and allow printer to clean heads.

This simple solution took me two months of frustration to figure out, a day away from buying a Canon, and a near divorce because I thought my wifes driver was messing with the network everytime she printed out a coupon.  The tech department at HP needs some updating.  Sometimes the simple solution is the only solution.

Hope this helps.

Honor Student
pshotwell
Message 24 of 26 (1,636 Views)

Hi,

I've got a D (I forget the number) Photosmart and just took out the 3-in-1 color cartrige and now it uses only black and prints fine!

Anybody see any problems with that? I'll be running a test page every few weeks to kepp the colors from drying up.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 25 of 26 (1,635 Views)

pshotwell wrote:

Hi,

I've got a D (I forget the number) Photosmart and just took out the 3-in-1 color cartrige and now it uses only black and prints fine!

Anybody see any problems with that? I'll be running a test page every few weeks to kepp the colors from drying up.

This is pretty off topic in this old thread.  Your printer uses a black cartridge and a tri-color cartrdige.  Your cartridges have the printhead built into the ink supply and these printheads are replaced with each new cartridge.  The Officejet 6500 uses a seperate semi-permanent printhead.  Your printer will automatically print in reserve mode if a cartridge is removed.  The Officejet 6500 will not.

As for your color cartridge, it may survive if you are storing it in a humidor designed for the purpose.  If you are leaving the cartrdige out for weeks it will likely be clogged beyond recovery.  If you are putting the tape back on the color printhead the colors will mix and the cartrdige will be ruined.

See here for some information on how ink is used.  Your printer is an IPH printer in the termonilogy of that page and the Officejet 6500 is an IIC printer.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 26 of 26 (464 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation