Question
HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909n - Windows 7 Driver Needed!
Replies (74)

Tutor
MiahX
Message 31 of 75 (7,842 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909n - Windows 7 Driver Needed!

Mine says it needs to restart to continue the installation, then once it does it says that the P/S is not supported.
Tutor
Method2Madness
Message 32 of 75 (7,841 Views)

Very strange indeed. Good find tho! Hopefully someone else with 32bit will try this and see if it's just me having good luck, or if it's just you having bad luck. :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
DavidDS
Message 33 of 75 (7,753 Views)

Thanks for the info that this doesn't work.  I was just about to order the Office Jet 8500 from Amazon.com to replace my Dell printer as it also doesn't work on Windows 7.  A Bing search surfaced this thread and it sounds like I should give HP a miss.
Top Student
anthcla
Message 34 of 75 (7,762 Views)

DavidDS wrote:
Thanks for the info that this doesn't work.  I was just about to order the Office Jet 8500 from Amazon.com to replace my Dell printer as it also doesn't work on Windows 7.  A Bing search surfaced this thread and it sounds like I should give HP a miss.

Why would you replace a printer that doesn't work with Windows 7 now? Chances are, if it has Vista drivers, there will be Windows 7 drivers. The issue here with this printer isn't that the drivers don't work, its that the software has not been marked that Windows 7 is valid to install on. Version build doesn't match Vista, so the installer doesn't know what OS you're trying to install onto. So instead of proceding anyway, risking you really screwing something up, it just backs out.

I'm sure this printer will be supported on Windows 7 by HP...but probably no sooner than October 22nd.

Honor Student
DavidDS
Message 35 of 75 (7,749 Views)

>>Why would you replace a printer that doesn't work with Windows 7 now?

The Dell printer is no longer sold and even under Vista, the scanner had substandard capabilities versus XP.  Now it completely fails under Windows 7.   I was hoping the HP Office Jet 8500, as it is currently in production, would have full scanner, wireless, and printing capabilities under Windows 7.

Honor Student
EarlRide
Message 36 of 75 (6,130 Views)

You people at HP just don't get it. The people most likely to influence others in the purchase of computers, pcs and software are usually to early adopters. I went through exactly the same thing with Vista and literally sold my HP and bought a Canon because they supported Vista with beta drivers and software. Some of us have had access to the final Windows 7 for some time through technet and others. Every piece of hardware and software I own works with Windows7 EXCEPT my HP Printer - it only has minimal functionality with the built in Windows 7 driver.
Honor Student
tjmedeiros
Message 37 of 75 (6,061 Views)

Yes, it would seem that HP should have been working on these drivers with the early release version of the OS and then just update prior to Oct 22.  Those of us with access to the OS for a couple months have been able to use with everything other than our HP printers.  Think about this from the standpoint of a company seeling computers with & preinstalled, but their own printer will not work with it.

As an x-hp employee, I'm a bit disappointed at the delay in getting these full package drivers out.  The first thing that shows up in the download section is a network diagnostic program?  Huh?  What good would that do anyone?

Tom

Tom Medeiros

Vantaggio Computing, LLC

Computer Repair, Networking, Websites
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 38 of 75 (5,999 Views)

Basic and full featured Win 7 drivers for the Officejet 8500 are now available for download from HP.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
MarkWoodward
Message 39 of 75 (5,815 Views)

When I upgraded from WinVista to Win7 last week (10/22/09), my HP Printer Software for HP Officejet Pro L7680 All in One stopped working.  The icon even disappeared from the Task Bar.   In checking with the HP Support/Driver website, I learned that full feature software and drivers would not be made available until Jan., 2010 - typical for HP, but I prepared myself for the 90+ day wait period... but,

This morning (10/28/09), I updated and ran" Registry Mechanic" (by PC Tools) to new version 9.0, and ran all important Updates for Win7, and out of the blue: I have my HP Full Feature Software back and it's working the same as the day I first installed it under WinVista.

I'm not saying this will work for others, but it sure worked for me, and I'm able to print, scan, copy and fax using the HP software.

Kudos!
agz Top Student
Top Student
agz
Message 40 of 75 (5,578 Views)

Bob,

I have tried to intall the win 7 drivers from this hp link for 2 days.  I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 earlier in the week on my hp 8500 wireless.  Everything else went fine except for the hp printer.  Printing functions worked but when I tried to scan that's when it went downhill.  So I tried to uninstall and reinstall from the disk, but of course no windows 7 option there so I went on line and found the full feature link.  I installed with no "problem" but the scanning function still didn't work--it looked like everything went fine and it scanned and saved, but then document found nowhere on computer.  I searched threads and all led back to reinstallation so I uninstalled and installed again.  Now I can't even open hp solution.  It says I have a missing driver.  Can't locate it.  Can't use the CD because it's outdated, and the sofware/drivers on line apparently don't have the missing driver.  I can still print but that's about it.  When I look at my devices in the control panel, my hp LAPTOP says there's an error, troubleshooting leads to a missing driver for the printer but can't find it.  I have tried so many uninstalls and reinstalls and rebooting and once again, hp problems have taken over my life.

I had an hp 7680 for a short time and had a million problems so what do I do?  Get an 8500.  Sad thing is that the 8500 was working BEAUTIFULLY under vista until this upgrade.  But I don't want to go back to vista--I do like 7 better.

So what is going on with this full featured win 7 drivers and software download?  Why doesn't it work? 

Another hint--when I reinstall this software and driver download from hp site now, and I extract files, the screen doesn't appear to be a new install--I can add new software or add new device, etc.  Seems like there's stuff that didn't come off, and even though I uninstalled through control panel AND deleted printer, the printer is already there.  When I click on add new device, etc. it shows the printer is there (wireless) and it is successful.  But then nothing--and the missing driver message when I try to open hp solutions.

ARG.  I'm not a computer expert but I work at home and have usually been able to troubleshoot my way out of things, but this take the cake. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation