Question

Student
OleBazz
Message 1 of 6 (5,960 Views)

3310 wireless - Printer stops printing halfway finished

I have concurring problem when printing images. Sometimes my printer stops printing halfway through printing a picture. It happens almost every second time I try. My setup is as follows:

HP pc with Windows Vista Home Premium

HP Photosmart 3310 All-in-One wireless

Linksys wireless-G Broadband router WRT54G

Printing normal files such as documents gives me no problems. I have a suspicion that is is releated to larger files.

When choosing print (this is either from Word, Picasa, Paint) the file seems to be transmitted OK to the printer. In the printer queue the files is shown as fully transmitted with its full file size. The printer starts printing fine but typically 1 third or halfway through it stops. If I just wait it takes about a minute or so and the paper is send out of the printer and the printer tries to start printing a new copy, which also fails.

I have tried to re-install the HP printer driver numerous times, without results.

Can anyone help me?

/Ole Bazz

Top Student
bigmike83
Message 2 of 6 (5,857 Views)

Re: 3310 wireless - Printer stops printing halfway finished

i have a similar problem:

Vista Ultimate

HP Officeject J6480 over Ethernet Connection

and at a different location & IP

HP Photosmart C7280 over wi-fi connection

HP Pavilion dv6000 Laptops

My system Randomly does the previous explained issue for all type of printing: document, pdf, excel, picasa, internet, etc. Prints 10% to 90% and spits out the HP premium photo paper, HP Bright White Paper, HP Card Stock, etc. Leaving me with a error-ed print in my print query and a error from the up to date HP Digital Imaging Monitor. "Document failed to print: The job failed to print due to an error in the printing system."

This happen randomly but frequent, on TWO different printers, with TWO different connection, at TWO difference locations, and with TWO different HP Pavilion dv6000 Laptops.

I can only assume this is either a HP software issue or an HP Global Hardware issue.

Lastly, I waste an horrendous amount of HP ink and paper due to this problem and am getting very irritated. I have called tech support multiple time with no avail and to my regret I can never get the issue to happen when the tech has remote control of my computer.

I own everything thing HP, laptop, printer, ink, paper, and software! Why can't they work together?

Gaging from the above post, I assume HP techs don't check this. HOWEVER I would like some type of response.

Thank you in advance,

~Mike

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 3 of 6 (5,848 Views)

What kind of router are you using and how are the printers and computers connected to your network?
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
bigmike83
Message 4 of 6 (5,841 Views)

HP Officeject J6480 via Ethernet cable to Bekin G router, computer connectected via wi-fi (work)

HP Photosmart C7280 over wi-fi with Linksys WRT54G, computer connect via wi-fi and/or ethernet cable (home)

Top Student
bigmike83
Message 5 of 6 (5,839 Views)

*Belkin Router

something that hit me, what's the name of the service that runs the wireless printing? if i could restart it I might have some luck working AROUND the problem

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 6 of 6 (5,815 Views)

First, download our Network Diagnostic Utility (NDU) located here.  Run the tool and stop and start the HP Network Support Service.

Let's try a couple of other things:

1) Uninstall the HP Customer Participation program is you've installed this.

2) Run msconfig and go to the Startup tab.  Disable the HP Digital Imaging program and reboot the computer.  You'll lose some functionality like being able to initiate a 'scan to computer' from the printer. 

3) Last option, as an experiment, delete the print queue from the printer's folder and reinstall using the Bonjour printer wizard located here

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation