Changed Routers - Unable now to setup HPDJ 3050 as wireless (1594 Views)
Student
larkspur4000
Message 1 of 3 (1,594 Views)

Changed Routers - Unable now to setup HPDJ 3050 as wireless

Our old router died and was replaced with a Tenda W268R Wireless Broadband Router.  I am now unable to re-setup the HP Deskjet 3050 J610 series on our wireless network either by  "Connect to a new Printer" or by pressing the WPS router button. The printer is within 6 feet of the router so it is not a distance issue.

1.  Router - Tenda W268R

2.  O/S - Vista (mine) - O/S - Windows 7 (husband's) ---> wireless setup does not work on either computer

3.  WEP is the security type

4.  SSID is set and known

5.  Password is known

The WEP is shared security and not "open security" as HP recommends (ran hphndu.exe program).  I do not know how to set the WEP to open security.  Also, not sure this is the root cause for not being able to setup the DJ on our wireless network.

Your help and guidance on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.  FYI:  We have a Canon printer and I was able to successfully add this printer to our wireless network.  Now, if only the HP DJ would cooperate and play nicely too. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 3 (1,545 Views)

Re: Changed Routers - Unable now to setup HPDJ 3050 as wireless

The problem is likely WEP.  WEP is not at all secure and can be broken in minutes with freeware from the Internet.  If you must keep WEP, shared is least secure and may not work at all with your printer.

Security settings like WEP are set in your router.  Contact your ISP to find out how to change it.  I recommend using WPA with a strong 13+ character password that YOU create!

I am employed by HP
HP
Super_Dave
Message 3 of 3 (1,526 Views)

Re: Changed Routers - Unable now to setup HPDJ 3050 as wireless

Moving from WEP to WPA or WPA2 is the better solution, but if you need to stay with WEP there are some settings that need to be changed.

With WEP you would need Open Security not a Shared Key.

This HP support document covers this topic.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02519971&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4066452&tmp...

You would have to access the Embedded Web Server (EWS) of your router to change the security type. 

Tenda has a setup wizard you can download that might be able to allow you change this.  The URL for this is http://www.tenda.cn/product/show.php?productid-351.html

I am an HP employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation