Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
deskjet officejet pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My computer does not seem to be communicating properly with my printer. It worked fine for a long time, and nothing has changed with the set-up recently. Computer and printer are connected via wireless internet. Sometimes restarting the computer or turning the printer off and back on will do the trick, but sometimes not, and I certainly can't count on doing that every time I need to print. Sometimes I get the error message and cancel the print, other times it won't seem to print, but will print hours later. Please help with this issue! Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Every thing was working OK until I shut everything down for a few days.  Upon restart the printer didn't work.  The printer and computer are both on the same router but computer can't find it.  I turned off the firewall and restarted the computer still nothing.

HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community folks, @MCGB4  and @robann65 ,

I understand you are both experiencing connection issues with your printer and computer, and I wanted to reach out and share my suggestions with you. 

If the issue seems to be a wireless disconnection problem, you could have intermittent connection issues. Follow all the of the steps in this guide and try assigning a static IP, which usually helps. Please also read the section about "Tips for preventing wireless connection issues": Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection 

If you happen to be seeing the message "Printer is Offline", try these steps: 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Will Not Print

Another tip I have would be to try updating the Firmware from the front panel of the printer:

Getting the Latest Firmware and Product Updates

Also make sure the printer is plugged in directly to the wall outlet, avoiding power bars and surge protectors. This ensures the printer is receiving full power.

If you determine that the problem is a wireless connection problem, and can connect successfully via Ethernet cable or USB cable, you can also check your router settings. Here are the setting options you are looking to check.

1. Network name and password to have no spaces or punctuation.
  2. If using WPA2 security, switch to WPA personal.
  3. Dual broadcast Wireless b/g/n (printer will may connect to g).
  4. Turn Mac Filtering Off.
  5. Firewall settings need to be at there default settings, or set to a lower security.
  6. Multicasting "on".
  7. Following ports need to be un-blocked:

Incoming (UDP) ports : 137, 138, 161, 427
Outgoing (TCP) ports : 137, 139, 427, 9100, 9220, 9500

If there are still connection issues when you  have completed all of the suggested troubleshooting, contact HP's technical support to discuss your printer options from there. Smiley Happy

Reach our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

HappyWonderfulDay.PNG

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to respond - I appreciate it! I will try these recommendations and see if that solves the issue. 

HP Recommended
I've a similar problem. Recently set up envy 4500 on network with MacBook os 10.6.8. I've three times manged to get wireless printing working. Every time after a day or two there's a problem. Either the computer cannot see the printer at all, or the printer remains stubbornly offline. I've tried restarting printer and computer, but the only measure that seems to restore online wireless printing is a reboot of the wifi router. This obviously unsatisfactory. By the way, I've done the full uninstall, reinstall and softeware update at least three times now. I
HP Recommended

My HP printer HP8610 suddenly stop connecting the network. I have tried reinstalling the wireless network connection, resinstalling the printer on to my laptop, but it still is saying the printer is offline. Any suggestions? I have also looked at the ethernet settings and it says IP:not connected. is that something to do with the offline status of the printer?

HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @Cent1 !

Please check out my last post above and at the link below and try the troubleshooting I suggested. If the issue continues, try contacting HP directly to look into the problem in real time to resolve the issue!:)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/Computer-Cannot-Communicate-with-Printe...

Cheers 🙂

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

My HP laptop since numerous updates now states it cannot communicate with my HP laser colour printer CP1515n however it does print in black and white !!

HP Recommended

Welcome to HP Forums @BobMcG,

I saw your post where you are able to print in black and white, but still get an error on the computer stating that it cannot communicate with the printer. Would like to help.

Refer to this article http://hp.care/2eM9sWr 

Run print and scan doctor

Uninstall the printer driver and reinstall it with the full feature driver. 

Reset the printer to its factory defaults. Refer to the printer manual http://hp.care/2eMbwha

Check if the printer is listed multiple times in the devices and printers. Delete all of them and install the printer.

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.