HP LaserJet P1102w will only print wirelessly if I turn the printer off and on again (23952 Views)
Honor Student
dlife55
Message 1 of 24 (23,952 Views)

HP LaserJet P1102w will only print wirelessly if I turn the printer off and on again

[ Edited ]

I have 2 Laserjet P1102w that work fine printing through USB.  However, I was hoping this printer could become the standard wireless printer for individual users in the office.  I have setup 2 different printers wirelessly with their own static, reserved IP addresses and they are connected to our wireless access point (WPA).  We have  all laptops that are connected to the network via the same access point as well as through hard wired ethernet.  In all cases, they are on the same subnet.

Once I connect any laptop to one of these printers wirelessly through either the "smart install" client or the latest regular installation exe off of HP's site, it will print fine initially.  However, whenever I undock the laptop or even just wait a few hours, the connection will be lost and I cannot print.  The queue just says "Error - Printing" when I print sometihng.  No errors in the logs.  The connection will come back if I turn off the printer and turn it back on.  This is very annoying and will probably not be acceptable to the users.

So I wanted to do more testing and connected both printers to my laptop wirelessly and made sure they could print successfully.  I opened 2 command windows and ran a ping -t on each IP address to see at what point the connection dies.  The ping will reply until I undock and go from hard wired / wireless to just wireless.. then it will say "Destination unreachable" and I can't even access the web interface. Even if I redock to hard wired / wireless, I still can't print unless I restart the printer.

This happens on 2 different laptops with 2 different p1102w printers.  Any clue as to what's going on here and how I can fix it?

Edit:

If I have both wireless and nic enabled, once I undock the laptop, the ping -t changes from replying to the ip of the printer, to replying to the address of the wireless adapter with "Destination host unreachable".

For example:

IP of printer: 192.168.2.95

IP of wireless adapter on laptop: 192.168.2.25

ping 192.168.5.95

Reply from 192.168.2.95

Reply from 192.168.2.95

*undock"

Reply from 192.168.2.25 Destination Host Unreachable

Reply from 192.168.2.25 Destination Host Unreachable

This does not happen if I disabled the nic and run only off the wireless card.  So the workarounds are to either turn the printer off and back on if I undock every time, or disabled the nic.

At this point, I just want to understand why it is like this?

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 2 of 24 (23,890 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet P1102w will only print wirelessly if I turn the printer off and on again

Do you have other wireless printers in your office?

Do you have any other devices on your wireless network that you can ping during the undock? 

(I just want to confirm that the problem is specific to the P1102w printer.)

Also,

I have seen times where undocking confuses the printer port drivers and the OS takes the printer offline.  I usually have the user reboot the computer.  In your case rebooting the printer fixes the connection issue.  That is interesting.  I appreciate your posting the issue.

P.S.  MS ping  will reply to itself if it can't find the destination IP.  That is expected ping behavior.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
I am employed by HP
Honor Student
dlife55
Message 3 of 24 (23,849 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet P1102w will only print wirelessly if I turn the printer off and on again

Thank you for replying.  I have removed the docking station from the equation all together.  I have a single laptop with only the wireless card enabled that connects to the printer.. however, when I reboot, it loses the connection.  Pinging gives me the "Destination host unreachable" thing.  I can connect again once I turn the printer off and on again.

I brought a non-HP printer from home and found that this behavior occurs on this printer as well.  At this point, I'm thinking it has to be something to do with the access point or the firewall.  If you have any ideas, please chime in.

I'm letting HP off the hook though, as I believe now that the printer itself is not the issue.

If I find out what is going on, I will post it back here.

Top Student
reirone
Message 4 of 24 (23,177 Views)

I am experiencing the same issue with a P1102w.

The printer is assigned a fixed IP address on a local subnet, which it accesses through a wireless access point (WPA as well). I have the auto-off function disabled. Print jobs are sent from workstations physically connected to the LAN via ethernet.

When I initially power the printer on, it will accept print jobs for a few minutes. However, after a few minutes of inactivity, the printer will cease to respond over the wireless connection. At this point, I have to powercycle the printer to get it to accept print jobs again. I have also confirmed this with ping -t.

Perhaps it does have something to do with the access point. I've setup a test configuration in ad-hoc mode with continuous ping to see if the printer ceases to respond. I will check the logs tomorrow.

Student
SirCharlesRom
Message 5 of 24 (23,162 Views)

Same problem here... If I send from Win XP, woks perfectly... But can't print from OS X 10.6.7

Honor Student
Mowaffaq
Message 6 of 24 (23,155 Views)

I Can't Change the Paper Size on my Printer

I Had purchased Hp 1102 W printer, and its working fine.

i have small issue with configuring the paper size, the current is Letter size, and when i tried to change it to A4, but when i save, and try to print, it goes back again to Letter.

I used my Windows XP laptop for this, and also i tried Windows 7 Home Edition 64 Bit, and both results are the same.

IS there any other way to fix this problem, as i have many documents are formatted to be printed on A4.

appreciate your early response

Mowaffaq

Top Student
reirone
Message 7 of 24 (23,141 Views)

Update: The printer was still responsive when I came back in this morning to review the logs. I performed a continuous ping over an ad-hoc wireless connection for approximately 15 hours and the connection never dropped.

At this point, I am going to pursue the access point as the source of the issue.I will post a reply if I discover anything useful.

Top Student
reirone
Message 8 of 24 (23,127 Views)

Re: I Can't Change the Paper Size on my Printer

Mowaffaq, you may want to determine whether you are making those changes in the master printing preferences (versus the adjusting the session printing preferences from within your application).

Click "Start", click "Printers and Faxes" (or "Devices and Printers"), right-click your printer, and select "Printing Preferences". On the "Paper/Quality" tab, you should be able to specify A4 as your default paper for all future print jobs.

Hope that helps.

Honor Student
Mowaffaq
Message 9 of 24 (23,121 Views)

Re: I Can't Change the Paper Size on my Printer

Thanks Reirone,

I did all of that, and it's show ok. but when i go back again to preferences, still showing letter.

i did one more step, i converted the word document to PDF, and i tried to print from adobe, again, printing letter format not A4.

i changed the document format from A4 to letter, and the printer already defined as Letter, it printed very well.

i am afraid this printer doesn't support or recongize A4 as paper size.

Any idea guys?

Mowaffaq

Top Student
reirone
Message 10 of 24 (22,978 Views)

Update: Turns out there were no less than four Wireless Access Points with the same SSID on this side of the building. I configured an additional WAP with a distinct SSID, so hopefully that will resolve the issue of intermittent connectivity permanently. Apparently the P1102w doesn't play well with a multi-WAP setup.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation