Question

Top Student
ibratt
Message 1 of 20 (26,250 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP OfficeJet 6500n Wireless Connection Problem

Hi

Just purchased a HP OfficeJet Wireless Printer to replace my current HP Printer. I have spent 3 hours trying to set this printer up with my wireless network and about to send it back! I get the following error

Your PC can not communicate with your printer at address 192.168.1.35. Check all cable connections. Check that the printer, PC and router are powered on and connected to the network.

Unable to communicate with your printer at this time. This may be caused by a Firewall. If you are using firewall software, verify UDP port 427 is unblocked from your printer at 192.168.1.35 to your PC.

Unable to communicate with your printer at this time. This may be caused by a Firewall. If you are using firewall software, verify UDP port 427 is unblocked from your PC to your printer at 192.168.1.35.

If you reconfigure the firewall, click Retry to see if the network communication is unblocked or click Next to continue.

I am using a Windows XP Desktop Machine connected vie cat 5 to a Zyxel Router. The strange thing is the printer gets the ip address assigned as I can see it on the printer display looking at the network config. I have no software firewall or hardware firewall enabled, what is going wrong?

I have network experience. At the moment I am going off HP printers and have been a fan of them for many years, please help!

Thanks in advance.

Ian.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 20 (26,246 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet 6500n Wireless Connection Problem

Does your security system (Norton, McAfee, etc) have a firewall in it (many do).  Disable it.

One test is to type the IP address into a browser to see if the printer's settings are accessible.

What is the model number of your router?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
ibratt
Message 3 of 20 (26,211 Views)

Having turned all the equipment off overnight. I can ping the printer, I can get onto the web console and tried the wireless setup again and it worked!! Good old trick with hard reset of computer and printer. Do I need to set a static IP for the printer or will the lease of the ip be set? I have a Zyxel P-660HW-T1.

Thanks for your help.

Ian.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 20 (26,206 Views)

A static IP address is always a good idea for a printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
ibratt
Message 5 of 20 (26,191 Views)

Thanks for the help.

Honor Student
drw2751
Message 6 of 20 (26,093 Views)

received the 6500 all in one wireless for christmas.had the same problem.installed a surge protector with battery back-up.have no more problems.avaliable at best buy or office supply.

Honor Student
marcd0ss
Message 7 of 20 (20,900 Views)

I just moved and continue to use my HP oj 6500 E709n

It has been a good printer, I use it with my HP laptop.  My computer loses connection with my printer daily.

I noticed that I have troubles similar to those listed above.  Since moving, I am using a different wifi Router due to my cable provider insistence.  The connection is shared with 3 televisions in the house and 2 other HP laptops in my family.

I like the idea of the one fellow who suggest battery backup system and surge protector..  I am reinstalling my HP Print drivers and disabling my security software so the firewall does not interfere with the installation. BE SURE YOU REACTIVATE YOUR FIREWALL AFTERWARDS.  I only started having troubles with this new WIFI router...

Student
b-i-k-e-s
Message 8 of 20 (20,661 Views)

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

my OfficeJet 6500 was printing one day ... not the next!

AAAAAAaaaaahhhHHHHHHhhhhhh!

This is the first time I've heard of using a Static IP.

It worked straight away ... let's hope it continues to work

(on all our other PCs too).

THANK YOU (again)  :smileyvery-happy:

Honor Student
JerroldK
Message 9 of 20 (15,536 Views)

Ok I am trying to setup my printer to an additional laptop.  I downloaded the drivers for the Windows 7 64 bit and began the install.  I recieved the following error messgae:

The PC and the printer are connected to different networks(192.168.1.0 and 192.168.0.0). They must be connected to the same network. This can happen when you use the manufacturer's default network name (SSID) and another nearby network is using the same name.

How do I change the printer IP address to conform so that I can complete the setup?

Jerold

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 20 (15,520 Views)

IP addresses are assigned by wireless routers.  Either your printer or your computer is NOT connected to YOUR network.  Check the printer by printing a Wireless Network Test from the Network menu on the front of the printer.

Check your PC by going to Control Panel > Network and Sharing.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation