Question

Top Student
pilates_girl
Message 1 of 25 (16,678 Views)

HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series wireless reads offline

I just installed the HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series on my HP Pavilion (Vista 32 bit) and I use a Linksys router. The install appeared to be successful, but I cannot print. All my other wireless devices are online and working as expected.

I get the messages the 'printer is offline' , 'document failed to print' and 'printer is disconnected'. I've run through the HP guided solutions and the only thing that it appeared that I needed to change was the port - from 'HP_192.168.1.105... Standard TCP/IP' to 'USB001 Virtual...'. According to the guide everything else was configured properly. Any guidance would much be appreciated.

Thanks

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 25 (16,663 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500 E709n Series wireless reads offline

I posted this on the longer thread, but it would be better to start a new one.  Thanks for doing that.

----------

Let's try downloading and running this utility.  It should tell us what is going on.  

If your printer is (supposedly) connected to a router, you should not change the port to USB.  Keep it on the Standard TCP/IP.

I suspect your security system's firewall.  What system do you use?

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Hedgescape
Message 3 of 25 (16,595 Views)

1. get printer back online temporarily: pull power cords on router, then on printer, then shutdown PCs.  Next, reinsert power cords first on router then on printer, then reboot up one PC. 

2. using web browser, go to 192.168.0.101 (printer)

3. click on "Networking" tab, then "Connections/"Wireless", then "Advanced" then under "Compatibility" insert check marks in all 3 checkboxes near bottom of page (the 1st checkbox is the only one that matters) then click on "Apply", and, finally close your browser.   Thats it.  I have posted this on other threads.

Honor Student
nursejan
Message 4 of 25 (16,308 Views)

Hello,

Can you tell me on windows 7 how to get to step 2? If you mean explorer for the web browser, it just shows the results of searching for the ip connection. I don't mean to be stupid, I am just not used to windows 7 yet.

Thanks

Honor Student
Jeremey
Message 5 of 25 (16,074 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am having this exact same problem with our Officejet 6500 E709n. Our printer is connected to a Cradlepoint CTR500 wireless router with WPA encryption. The primary device that uses this printer is a HP Probook Windows 7 Pro 32bit laptop that is also connected wirelessly. We use Symantec Endpoint Protection for antivirus only, no firewall is installed with this Symantec product. Windows 7 Firewall is on, but I have tried shutting this off also.

The 6500 constantly either disappears from the laptop (requiring a reinstall or on occasion a reboot works) -or- sometimes the unit will print but the "HP Solution Center" does not open and says that the printer is not fully installed. On occasions where a reboot fixes it, the printer ALWAYS shows up "use printer offline" so we need to go uncheck that also. I have called HP and used the chat option 4 times now and get nowhere. Every time I am instructed to reinstall the software (on occasion I am prompted to use L2 and L3 of the uninstall utility) but it ALWAYS happens again in a few days or weeks.

I can always ping the 6500, access it with a web browser, etc. The device has a hard coded IP address. Something tells me that the HP software is searching for the printer at bootup, and removes it when it is not found. The delay the laptop experiences in connecting to the wireless network might be preventing the software from finding the printer each time, or perhaps the fact that the device hibernates or moves to another network where the printer is not present.

If there is a solution to this, PLEASE let me know. Otherwise I am more than likely going to simply replace this device as the time saved in troubleshooting this will save us money.

Top Student
Laplace
Message 6 of 25 (14,791 Views)

Go into wireless setup on PC and change IP to manual. Change IP address to 192.168.1.149. (.149..... keep the number high, but below 150). LEAVE ON MANUAL
Go into printer properties and change port; "Printer Name or IP address" to the same IP address you set on your printer.
This should work; if it doesnt, you may have to reserve DHCP IP address on your router (if router has the capibility).

Student
Pbux
Message 7 of 25 (12,090 Views)

Same problem. Everything else, PC, Mac, IPad, AT&T home 3G mini cell tower, even my Samsung TV in the basement all connect seamlessly, but the Officejet "says" it is connected but won't print and the network map reports it is offline. The machine prints a network test page (from its own control panel) which also reports it is connected, but will not print a test page sent from the PC. I have run the HPHNDU. exe and the HPNNDU.exe -- or was it HPPNDU? -- utilities, have downloaded the latest driver, disabled my Vista firewall, unplugged & restarted countless times, input the pass phrase into the printer control panel a dozen times ( each time getting the announcement the connection is successful) and the printer is still offline --- and the test pages pile up in the print queue and won't go through. While I can input addresses ( for example, 192.168.1.1 to setup my Ubiquiti wireless router ) I am uncomfortable playing around with these because I don't want to screw things up, and don't completely understand the process. Surely, adding a printer should not require that level of technerati skill!!? Anyway, any suggestions? Thanks!
PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 8 of 25 (12,026 Views)

It seem like there is no problem connecting the printer to the network because you mentioned that the network configuration page you printed from the printer did not indicate an issue. The computer's connection to the network also sounds like it is good. This only leaves how the HP software communicates with the printer via the router. You mentioned that you ran the HP Network Diagnostic Utility (HP NDU), do you remember if it found any issues? You might also want to run the HP Print Diagnostic Utility (HP PDU) to see if it is a printer driver issue.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
Honor Student
dorise410
Message 9 of 25 (10,262 Views)

How do I get the pinter to print from the computer when it will not print, and reads offline?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 25 (10,254 Views)

What computer (operating system)?  What router?  What error messages?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation