Question
HP4500 officejet wireless -ASLEEP- Power Save Mode
Replies (96)

Top Student
WaltSr
Message 21 of 97 (4,461 Views)

Re: HP4500 officejet wireless -ASLEEP- Power Save Mode

I recently received the following from Kemp of HP Total Care:::

"Walter. I would like to inform you that HP is working under this issue. I am providing you troubleshooting steps not to go to power save mode.

Please perform the steps in a sequential manner. Ignore the steps if you have done already.

1) Press * and # at the same time on the Printer.

2) Press 1, 2, and 4 in sequence.

3) Go for underware menu (This is the first menu that pops up after enter that sequence).

4) Go to System Menu
5) Look for System Mode Time Out
6) Set it to 0 press OK

7) Press the Cancel button to return to main screen after setting the value to '0'."

I have tried it and it seems to take care of the problem!!

QC Student
Student
QC
Message 22 of 97 (4,389 Views)

There were some good suggestions for a fix given here, especially the one that went...Press * and # at the same time and so on.  It would work only for some units.  I had that problem with a new unit I bought in Jan/11.  HP did replace the printer through overnight delivery .  It did not cost me anything because it was under warranty.  The new unit works fine, and pressing any key on the key pad will wake it up.

Student
bycheck
Message 23 of 97 (4,007 Views)

How do I get my printer off power ssafe mode

Honor Student
katinak14
Message 24 of 97 (3,895 Views)

This does not work for me. When I get to the part where I am supposed to set it to 0, it won't let me choose anything. It just stays on 1800 minutes setting.

Student
ishaq52
Message 25 of 97 (3,819 Views)

how can i get it back in print mode

Student
Ed-3612
Message 26 of 97 (3,593 Views)

I had the same problem for months.  I could get it to wake up the majority of the time by pressing the left side of the start button. But then sometimes I would need to unplug it.  I continued to complain so HP eventually sent me a new Officejet 4500.  Same firmware and the problem resolved.  My only conclusion is that it was a defect in some of the printers but not the majority.

Honor Student
DentonJim
Message 27 of 97 (3,317 Views)

Setting the power save default timer to "0" has completely disabled our unit.  No matter what, it will not even boot up now.  I've tried #6, #9.  I've tried everything.  It appears that my HP4500 is now an expensive doorstop.  HP should have either fixed this problem or replaced these junkers a long time ago.  I let it go for months because we used it every day and the few times it went into power save mode I didn't mind just unplugging and plugging it back in again.  But we just started using it for inbound faxes and that mode became intolerable, so I called HP and their tech on Mars proceeded to totally disable it.  This thing is 9 months old, they know that there is a problem, yet they are sitting there hoping the unit will run out of warranty.  This is a defective product backed by defective customer service.  Shame on HP.

Honor Student
bcales
Message 28 of 97 (3,112 Views)

Just got off the phone with HP on this issue. They reiterated that the developers are working on the firmware. I informed them that based on this post, they have been working on it since August 2010 - hello. They are escalating the incident and I will update/post any resolution.

I do have a second unit bought at the same time that I will see if it has the same problem.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 29 of 97 (3,107 Views)

I might suggest you trying the following:

If you are using the device by a USB connection, disabling the wireless radio should help:

From the device control panel: Setup > Wireless Menu > Wireless On/Off> witch it to off

If you are using a wireless connection, the following settings might help:

1. Print a network config page in order to locate the printer url:

Setup > Print Report > Network Config

2. launch the printer's home page by entering the url from your web browser:

Under Networking tab, enter the Advanced tab:

locate the "In an infrastructure network use 802.11b behavior." option at the bottom and try disabling it.

3 The following settings are more related to your router, please contact your router support for any assitant needed.

I would highly suggest not to do it by yourself unless you are familier with your router settings

-If your router supports 802.11N broadcasting, you may try setting your router to Transmit over Wireless-G/B Only

-Check for any available Firmware Update for your router, that might help as well

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
bcales
Message 30 of 97 (3,100 Views)

No, this is a wireless connection. The printer comes back so I can make copies, however my PC doesn't pick it back up as being online and I am unable to ping it - however the Wireless Network Test says everything is fine.

HP Support keeps disconnecting me and not connecting me to the person they escalated it to - very frustrating and I'm almost to the point in cutting my loss and going with a Brother wireless.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation