Question
Installed new wireless router; don't know how to change printer settings
Replies (29)

rl3 Student
Student
rl3
Message 11 of 30 (25,503 Views)

Re: Installed new wireless router; don't know how to change printer settings

Think of your printer like a 3G phone. If you try to connect to a wireless router, you have to point your device to the Wi-Fi Network (SSID) and the tap in the Network Key.

Go directly to your printer (Not your PC), Select control panel/set up/Network settings/Wireless Lan settings/set up wizard. Then select the SSID Network you want connect to. Then type in your network key/OK

You do not have to do anything to you PC!! Just start printing again.

Student
maredt
Message 12 of 30 (25,388 Views)

I feel your pain, this just took me ages to figure out. So here's what i did...

Control Panel -> Printers -> right click on the printer you use -> properties -> printing preferences -> printer services -> Network settings tab -> change settings -> HP Wizard should now kick in and find your new router and wireless key for you, just follow the steps and it'll do the rest.

Hope this helps x

Student
deeply
Message 13 of 30 (25,173 Views)

remi wrote:
I just changed the wireless router which has created a problem with printing. I don't know what I need to do to change the printer settings to accommodate the new wireless router. Would greatly appreciate any help with how to do so. I'm on Windows XP, SP3 with a HP all in one on a wireless laptop (don't have wired connection). Wireless router is a through Sky. Thank you!

Student
jerrymcampbell
Message 14 of 30 (17,903 Views)

changed router now printer will not work what do I need to do ?

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 15 of 30 (17,811 Views)

@jerrymcampbell, sorry that you are having a issue since you have gotten a new router. 

You will just need to reconnect the printer to the network again. 

What type of printer do you  have?

Depending on the printer, you can go to the Network Settings on the printer, choose Wireless Setup Wizard and connect to new network. 

After doing so, go to the computer and update the IP Address. 

1. Click Start Menu

2. Choose All Programs

3. Select HP folder

4. Click on the Printer name

5. Scroll down to UPDATE IP ADDRESS

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Student
Wise1305
Message 16 of 30 (15,042 Views)

I've tried so many different ways to get my laptop to talk to my printer, but to no avail. I have recently changed wireless provider, have laptops and iPads working fine. My printer....no! Or at least not yet! My printer is 3 yrs old, an HP Deskjet F4580, very simple, but nowhere to add an IP no. I've tried your suggestion, but when I get to the Printer preferences bit, there is no "Network Settings " . So can't add IP no. I have a Packard Bell laptop Easynote TJ61. I've plugged my printer into BT Ethernet adaptor, deleted printer, added printer etc, but running out of ideas. It also seems that I can't make my printer, a Default printer, for some reason. Ive also tried using the HP setup disk again but it says "a newer version of this software is already installed on your computer. Simply connect your device to your computer" . But there is nowhere to connect printer directly to laptop. Ive also tried entering the IP into the browser bar. Would you be able to help me please?
Student
Nwil10
Message 17 of 30 (13,592 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am not sure if this is a specific answer to this question but it is how I was able to get my printer working after I changed by modem/router.  Since the printer had the old settings in memory still, I needed a way to change them.  On my specific printer, a 209A-M there is no ethernet connection.  Just a power connection and a square-ish USB port.  I connected my printer to my laptop via USB cord and I was able to get the settings changed.  One word of advice: make sure you read everything on the set-up because you are looking for a specific screen to change the wi-fi settings.  Once I figured out that I needed to connect my printer to my computer via USB, it took less than ten minutes to actually change the settings.  I hope this helps!

Tutor
tinykygal
Message 18 of 30 (11,330 Views)

My HP under printers doesn't have the TAB to update the iP Address

Tutor
tinykygal
Message 19 of 30 (11,328 Views)

Neither does mine

Tutor
tinykygal
Message 20 of 30 (11,327 Views)

oops dup posting

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation