Question

Honor Student
BobKeeley
Message 1 of 46 (50,254 Views)
Accepted Solution

OfficeJet 6500 E710n-z - Problems with wireless printing

I have recently purchased an HP OfficeJet 6500A to work in wireless mode.  I have had distinct problems in setting the device up.  I have yet to set up the fax, but the scan works but I cannot print from my computer.  I run MS VISTA and I have reloaded the HP software many times rebooted etc (printer software only not the other 6 software packages - no uninstall options for these).  The printer can see my wireless router and from the printer toolkit on the PC I can check cartridge ink levels.  However, I cannot print test pages from the PC (OK from the printer).  I have downloaded various tools from the HP site and got the following message - "Software Missing!  HP Software required to connect to your printer over the network could not be found on this computer etc"  So it appears to be a handshaking issue between the PC and the printer

I appear to be going around in circles here so any advice/help that anyone can offer would be gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 46 (50,203 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6500 E710n-z - Problems with wireless printing

On the CD in the ccc/utils folder you should see a L3_unistaller.  Run that, reboot then re-load the software.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
BobKeeley
Message 3 of 46 (50,191 Views)

Many thanks for your reply.  I have searched my CD thoroughly but cannot find the file you suggested.  I have a utils folder but the only file in it is hpUrlLauncher

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 46 (50,188 Views)

OK, search the entire CD for an uninstaller, preferably an L3 uninstaller.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
ggore53
Message 5 of 46 (49,313 Views)

I have the same type of printer and the same problem - getting frustrated and about ready to take it back.  I know I'm set up correctly with the router and have an IP address and the printer is listed in my homegroup for wireless access.  I have searched the CD for "L3", "uninstaller", etc. and my util folder has the same file that was mentioned above.  I used my programs uninstaller to completely uninstall the Hp printer and then reinstalled - still no luck.  The only time it will print is when I completely unplug it and plug it back in and then it will work for one print and no more.  Anymore suggestions before I take this thing back to the store?

Honor Student
BobKeeley
Message 6 of 46 (49,310 Views)

I am still working with the printer manufacturer's help desk to solve this problem but so far to no avail.  It is becoming increasingly frustrating and irritating – I have had the printer for weeks now and cannot get it to work in wireless mode – I can ‘see’ it via explorer by logging in to its IP address.  The problem lies somewhere between the Printer/Windows Vista/Norton AV mix!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 46 (49,304 Views)

Let's start fresh:

1. Uninstall as much of the software as you can - use the HP uninstaller in Start > All Programs > Hewlett-Packard folder.  Then check for additional HP software that can be uninstalled in Control Panel - Remove Programs.

2. Reboot.

3. Run Windows Update (Start > All Programs > Windows Update) over and over until there are no more.

4. Reboot.

5. Get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Driver" link at the top of this page.

6. Reboot.

Now, try it again.  Keep Norton AV on and in the default mode through this entire process.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
wildcat445
Message 8 of 46 (49,289 Views)

I have this printer, and have had trouble with it ever since I got it.  Mine won't print either.  Did all the updates.  Ran all the diagnostic programs.  Talked to the HP techs over and over.  I just unhooked mine, uninstalled the software and am on my way back to the store with this POS and am going to try to find a printer that will work.  Sorry everyone is having trouble, but am glad to know I am not the only one. 

Tutor
Gary_72653
Message 9 of 46 (49,267 Views)

I also have a HP 6500A I purchased around March 1st and have been trying to get it to work wireless since then.  I also talked to Printdoc on this web site and he told me to find a L3 uninstaller on the CD and I also searched the CD for half an hour and also told him that I could not find the L3 uninstaller.  This was a few weeks ago.  I have seen message after message posted from people trying to get their HP 6500A Printer to print wireless and they all get the same routine from printdoc and it has never worked since I have been reading the posts. I would like to hear from printdoc, what is going on with the HP 6500A printer?  Is there a known fault in the printer that you can not fix?  Are you trying to help people, or just drawing your pay?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 46 (49,259 Views)

I am certainly trying to help people, however, I really do not know what the problem is.  I suspect it is something in the HP software, Windows and/or your security system and I am offering some standard troubleshooting steps I have picked up along the way.

There is a firmware update and newer software on the product page here.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation