Question

Student
ptocci
Message 1 of 9 (4,032 Views)

OfficeJet 8500-A910 unable to establish two-way communication with the device

I have an HP OfficeJet 8500 A910 installed a couple months ago.  On first install the HP software could communicate with it from two computers--one XP and one Win7.  Now I can scan to the locations I setup before and print from both computers, but when I try to run the HP software that was installed and working on either computer, I get "...unable to establish two-way communication with the device".  I have tried all the troubleshooting and downloaded the diagnostic tool.  I have disabled both the Norton and Windows Firewalls. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 9 (4,014 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 8500-A910 unable to establish two-way communication with the device

How is it connected?  If a network, tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
ronrysanek
Message 3 of 9 (3,941 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 8500-A910 unable to establish two-way communication with the device

I have the same problem. I am using a wireless network. The problem is only noticeable in HP Solution Center (HPSC). HPSC identifies the printer as being disconnected. Yet all the tools work except for when in Settings and trying to determine the estimated ink levels. Network setting are obtained correctly, scanning and faxing work.

Please let us know if you have been able to resolve this problem. Thanks.

Student
WLoving
Message 4 of 9 (3,853 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same exact problem. All of my computers are able to print to my HP 8500A-A910g Plus Printer using an ecrypted network connection. But if I need to check my ink status, I can only do by hitting the ink status button on my printer. I attempt to check my printer ink status I get the error message "The computer is unable to establish two-way communication with the device". All of my pc's and laptops are running Windows 7. We have a Linksys WRT3300N Wireless N Broadband Router.

I would be interested in a resolution to this problem. Thanks !!

Student
elbowe
Message 5 of 9 (3,698 Views)

I too have this problem. I'm trying to check the Firmware version from settings....unable to connect. checked firewall etc .. nothing. Would be interested if HP can help here. Les

Grad Student
tinuwangiro
Message 6 of 9 (3,683 Views)

check if HP PML service under services.msc is started

(i may represent HP but this advice is solely my own)
Student
FlyingViking
Message 7 of 9 (3,014 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a similar problem. Brand new HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus, wire-connected to router.

I am unable to print/scan/fax on my Windows XP when Symantec Endpoint Protection is turned on.  I have to disable it to be able to print/scan/fax. 

I can do all capabilities with my Win7 computers.  This seems to be a Win XP related problem.

I have checked for HP PML service...not listed.  I show HP Port Resolver and HP Status Server and PML Driver HPZ12 started.

Doesn't bode well for keeping Viruses and other malware at bay.  Any suggestions?

Honor Student
Raising24God
Message 8 of 9 (2,613 Views)

What should be done if the service isn't running?  My computer says everything works fine but can't two-way communicate and my printer says it's setup properly... NOTHING will print though!

Student
joelj
Message 9 of 9 (1,934 Views)

I am able to fix this simply by turning the printer off and on. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation