Question
OfficeJet Pro 8600 scans have vertical lines.
Replies (95)

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 11 of 96 (14,368 Views)

[ Edited ]

@spouses
Have you took a look at the document below. If you are still interested in exchanging printer then you could return printer to store where you purchased or you could call Hp tech support for assistance at this number 800-474-6836

Click here for document.

Tutor
spouses
Message 12 of 96 (14,359 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro 8600 scans have vertical lines.

I think I solved my own problem  and I want to share the results.

The printer was sharing an extension cord with a paper shredder, both sharing a surge protector. Shredder is located about 2 feet from the printer.

I kept the printer on the surge protector, but I moved the shredder to a regular wall outlet. I also unplugged the printer for about 30 minutes. I never physically moved the printer or shredder however

The problem has gone away.

I am guessing that the electric noise from the shredder was getting into the sensor on the printer that is used in the copy and scanner modes.

I will monitor this fix, but for now I think I have found the problem and the solution.  i hope this helps someone else out there,since the printer is very good.

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 13 of 96 (14,347 Views)

Great glad you posted your solution someone in the community might fine it helpful.
Honor Student
RobertSBH
Message 14 of 96 (14,137 Views)

When I copy I have the vertical lines.  I unplugged but it did not make a difference.  It is not during the printing.  Any ideas?

Tutor
DMathias
Message 15 of 96 (14,130 Views)

When I had this problem, I unplugged the printer when it was on.  Left it off for a minute and plugged it back in.  Powered it up and all was OK.   I have done this successfully on the HP 8600 and a Canon all-in-one.

Good Luck.

Honor Student
RobertSBH
Message 16 of 96 (14,129 Views)

I use the automatic document feed.

Tutor
spouses
Message 17 of 96 (14,114 Views)

After 20 plus days I can report that my 'fix' is still working. I believe that the scanner sensor (also used for the copy mode) is sensitive to electric noise and so that causes the vertical lines. This would be similar to the 'noise' you hear on an AM radio when the vacuum cleaner is running in another room for example. (or the broken picture from electric noise on the old analog TV screen before we went all digital years ago)

Try plugging the printer into it's own outlet or even a surge protector. Do not share the line with anything that could make electrical noise (like a room a/c motor or dorm refrigerator, for example). Leave the printer unplugged for 20 minutes or more to remove any buildup of staic on the sensors. Make sure the line you are plugging in has a real working ground (some outlets may not really have the ground wired into place properly). Even try to plug the printer into the outlet by flipping the plug around 180 degrees, if possible.

good luck...this is a great printer!

Student
OTheycl
Message 18 of 96 (13,962 Views)

Thanks... advice worked great! I unplugged the printer and an extension cord that sat underneath it. No more streaks!

Tutor
spouses
Message 19 of 96 (13,947 Views)

glad it worked for you also.

OTheycl wrote:

Thanks... advice worked great! I unplugged the printer and an extension cord that sat underneath it. No more streaks!

Top Student
FDaye
Message 20 of 96 (13,519 Views)

re vertical lines

I also had the vertical lines and tried the fix and it worked! At least for the scan portion of the issue, I will be testing out the fax portion later this evening! Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation