Question

Student
abmont
Message 1 of 4 (3,004 Views)

Officejet 6500 Wireless -- Error status

I have a one-month-old Officejet 6500 wireless printer.  It was successfully installed wirelessly and working well.  But... I've upgraded my router to an N-router, and now cannot get the wireless printing to work. 

-- running Windows Vista on my laptop computer, and computer shows 6500 printer in "error" status

-- Printer sees my wireless network, and the Wireless Network Test Report shows no warnings or problems.

-- Troubleshooting menu on the printer screen tells me "There is no computer connection". 

Any tips???

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 4 (2,995 Views)

Re: Officejet 6500 Wireless -- Error status

First, did you keep the same SSID and password type and key from your old router?  If not, you will have to tell the printer about the new setup.

Second, does your new router operate in both 802.11n AND 802.11g mode?  If not, you will have to turn on 'g' mode somehow (usually a dual g/n mode is available) because the printer only has a 'g' radio.

If all above is OK, you may have to re-install the printer manually:

Verify that you can browse to the printer's internal web page by its IP address.

1. Click "Start" button --> Printers.
2. Under Printer Tasks, click "Add Printer".
3. Click "Next" button on the Add Printer Wizard window.
4. Select "Local printer attached to this computer". Deselect "Automatically detect and install My Plug and play printer". Click "Next".
5. Under Select a Printer Port option, select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "Next" button.
6. In the "Welcome to the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard" make sure that the printer is turned on and connected to same network that your computer is connected to. Click "Next" button.
7. Under "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port" enter the printer's IP address. Click "Next" then click "Finish".
8. Now, select HP from the list of manufacturers, select your printer from the list of Printer models and click 'Next' button.
9. If you can't find your printer, you'll need to find the install CD and use the "Have Disk" option to select one of the hp*.ini files. Alternatively, you can select another HP printer model from the same type.
10. Add the print spooler name and click "Next".
11. Click "Next"
12. Click "Next" and then "Finish"

There are more things that could be wrong, but lets start here.

I am employed by HP
Student
doughaycock
Message 3 of 4 (1,898 Views)

I'm experiencing the same problem, and contrary to your post the HP website says this model (officejet 6500 wireless) DOES support wireless N

http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/everyday-printing/comp_chart/wireless_aio.html

any help?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 4 (1,896 Views)

Yup, you have to have 802.11g enabled (along with other modes is OK).

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation