Question

Honor Student
dfword
Message 1 of 19 (21,756 Views)

Officejet 8500 pro Wireless problems

[ Edited ]

This week I bought an HP pro 8500 wireless printer.  I've never owned a wireless printer before, so I actually read the instructions and before installing the printer software, I ran the wireless wizard on the unit--entered the 10-digit WEP, which was accepted. Then within seconds the printer started to wig out. Cycles between "turn printer off and on", then after doing so, get "Improper Shutdown", as if I didn't use the power button to turn it off.

I'm running Windows Vista Premium SP1, and am using a 2wire 1800HG  modem/router with my ATT DSL--have a static IP, as my service was installed up in 1999, back when you had to live within five miles of a switching station. The connection is very stable, and as far as I know, only one update was done to the unit (remotely by a ATT tech) when I upgraded to PRO service.

Same thing happens when I try to connect via ethernet. When I turn the printer's radio off and connect via USB, it works fine, albeit wired. The printer's network diagnostic printout says it can't locate the SSID.

I'm dealing with HP support in India, and they have been OK,  have had me try all of the normal stuff (reset, not using power strip, etc), to no avail. Now they are going to access my set remotely, hopefully this morning. Any ideas what may be causing this? Could my router be incompatible?

Message Edited by dfword on 04-19-2009 03:06 AM
Message Edited by dfword on 04-19-2009 03:07 AM
Message Edited by dfword on 04-19-2009 03:09 AM
Message Edited by dfword on 04-19-2009 03:14 AM
Honor Student
dfword
Message 2 of 19 (21,729 Views)

Re: Officejet 8500 pro Wireless problems

Success!

Was on the phone with a 3rd level tech and they had to do some tweaks on my 2wire, specifically enable DHCP and manually enter the IP and subnet on the 8500. He was very helpful and gave me other tipsNow it works like a charm-no wires. I told him that he may be dealing with lots of these issues as lots of folks with ATT DSL still have this and similar 2-wire modem/routers, and this printer has only been on the shelves at Best Buy for a few weeks.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 3 of 19 (21,680 Views)

The problem with some HP wireless printers (including the Officejet Pro 8500) and AT&T's 2WIRE DSL wireless-router is a known issue. For others reading this, the problem is that the printer FW faults when you connect the printer to the 2WIRE router (Ethernet or Wireless).

The work around is to use assign a static IP address to the printer. Here's one way to do this:

1. Unplug he telephone line from the 2WIRE router
  2. Turn the power off on the 2WIRE router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
  3. Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the 2WIRE device (Ethernet or Wi-Fi). The printer will not crash as long as the telephone line is disconnected from the 2WIRE device.
  4. From the Officejet's front panel, access the "Advanced Setup" menu under "Network"
  5. Select "IP Settings", acknowledge the warning and select "Manual IP Address"
  6. Select "IP Address" and change the last IP address group (octet) to something higher or lower. Specifically for your 2WIRE router, select 192.168.0.60.
  7. Press Ok and plug in the telephone line into the 2WIRE router.
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Student
dpigraphics
Message 4 of 19 (21,108 Views)

I am having similar issues with my OfficeJet 8500 losing connection to my network.  I am using a 54 Mbps Netgear wireless travel router.  The printer's network test says wireless is on and working and signal strength is excellent, but when I try to print, I get errors that say it's lost connection.  I can print a test page from the printer, so I know the printer is working.  Also, when it does work, whenever I have to select the printer, there is a 30-sec delay before I can actually select [print].  I have had this printer 2 days, and not happy with it at all.  I wish I had done more research before purchasing it because evidently this problem (and others I had during install) are common. I'm excited about the features, so don't want to return it.  Can anyone offer any advice on how to resolve this problem?
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 5 of 19 (21,072 Views)

I need a bit more data on your setup:

What is the model number of your Netgear travel router? How is it connected to your internet service provider?

When you get errors claiming that the connection is lost, can you access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address?

When you get errors claiming that the connection is lost, does power-cycling your wireless-router help restore the connection? How about power-cycling the printer -- does this help restore your connection?

What kind of computer are you using? What kind of security SW (Norton/Symantec, McAfee, Zonealarm, Windows, etc) do you have your computer?

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
dpigraphicsllc
Message 6 of 19 (21,038 Views)

Thank you for your reply.  I have finally figured out how to keep 8500 online.  In addition to adding it as an exception under Windows Firewall, I also had to create a "traffice rule" under Norton Security.  I have been online since Friday, so feel pretty sure that was the one remaining step I neglected to think about.  When is frustrating, though, is that the setup software doesn't address any of the many work-arounds I had to do.  I don't understand how HP expects an average user to think about these obstacles and know how to resolve them.  Usually an HP advocate, I am really disappointed in their "negligence" in developing the setup software.  Thanks, again, for your reply.
Honor Student
TheBudah
Message 7 of 19 (19,287 Views)

I am using the 8500 wireless with a Linksys WRT54G and it appears to be causing my WRT54G to lose its connection to my ISP or it may be consuming all of its resources. I have learned thru trial and error that I have to turn off the printer before removing the power on my router. If I reset the router without shutting down the printer my ISP connection will lock back up again seconds after the router is restarted. I am going to disable the wireless connection on the printer and connect via ethernet cable but would really like to use the printer wirelessly as that is why I purchased it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 19 (19,274 Views)

Set a static IP address for the printer.

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- Click the Manual IP button and enter:
192.168.1.200 for the IP address
255.255.255.0 for the subnet
Leave the gateway and DNS blank
- Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
dpigraphicsllc
Message 9 of 19 (19,267 Views)

When using my OfficeJet 8500 pro in wireless mode, I cannot print pdf files.  I can print pdf files fine when plugged directly in via USB cable.  Has anyone had this issue, and how did you resolve it?

Student
JDHVAC
Message 10 of 19 (17,473 Views)

Thank you PrintDoc! This solved my issue so I joined this forum just to click the kudos star. :smileyvery-happy:Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation