Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Must have been timing. My connection drops as described by Honor Student, not when I change my laptop network connection.

HP Recommended

I think my problem is solved and it did turn out to be the router.  I replaced the Netgear firmware in the WNDR3300 with dd-wrt and the problem has occurred since (over 1 week).   So even though the problem was with the printer, the printer wasn't at fault.

HP Recommended

Will look into my router - been quite a while since I have looked for updated firmware for it (I don't even remember what brand it is)

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem of the computer/printer loosing connection. I have replace the router as I thought it was the problem.  All connections are hard wired. I have set a static IP on the printer thinking that it was changing and causing the problem. At this point the only thing that restores the connection is rebooting the computer.

All three of my computers are XP but only one computer is on long enough to experience the problem.

HP Recommended

HP are you listening? I don't log off or shut down every day - I put my computer into hibernate mode. In order to access the Officejet 8600 after it drops off, I need to log off and back on again or shut down to access the 8600 again.

HP Recommended

From our investigation into this issue, we have found a workaround that will help with this.

Follow the steps below.

1. Please go to Hp Software->Printer Preferences->Maintenance Tasks -> Advanced Settings

2. Selects the second radio under “Show Alerts”, “Only show me ink alerts when I print”.

3. Now restart your PC to make sure setting saved.

Find the screen shot attached.

ShowInkAlerts.jpg

Here is a helpful support document that may also help.

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

HP Recommended

I think you are answering another question/problem. We're talking about a LAN attached OfficeJet 8600 that loses connectivity after a period of time. I don't see how this can have anything to do with an internet browser.

HP Recommended

This is not an IE issue.   I don't use IE anyway.  I just noticed that when the printer drops off the network, then IE doesn't work either.  I have to kill the HP network software then restart it.  Then IE comes back.    Sometimes I have to kill and restart the print spooler also.   HP finally contacted me and noted that they have duplicated this in their lab and are working on a fix.  

For those that have had dropoff issues, have you tried the script I posted?

HP Recommended

I just checked IE (I don't usually use IE either) - hmmm, works for me even when the 8600 is "unavailable." I don't print a lot, so I haven't used your script - just log off and back on.

Thanks for letting us know about HP working on the problem. Pls keep us posted (HP didn't contact me).

HP Recommended

Yes, please let us know what support tells you.  We are having the same problem!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.