P1102W not connecting wirelessly (32062 Views)
Student
ownerizer
Message 1 of 39 (32,062 Views)

P1102W not connecting wirelessly

Yesterday I bought a P1102W in hopes of being able to print wirelessly. I will be using it with 3 computers I have setup in my home, on an un-encrypted wired and wireless b/g LAN.

Computer 1 (WinXP 64)

Printer installation freezes when installation checks for USB connectivity.

Computer 2 (WinXP 32)

Printer is installed, but will only print via USB cable.

Computer 3 (WinVista32)

Printer installed successfully, but will only print via USB.

I cannot get the printer to detect my wireless network. Currently the network is setup as a wireless b/g LAN, unencrypted and the router isn't more than 2 feet from the printer. What is the issue here? The printer just blinks it's wireless light constantly like it's searching for a network, eventually turns off, never finding one.

After 3 Brother printers, all of which became paperweights in the first 3 months, I decided I wanted a wireless laser printer, and came upon this decision. But I'm fairly computer savvy and can't even get the printer to communicate over the network. I'm frustrated and upset, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 2 of 39 (32,050 Views)

Re: P1102W not connecting wirelessly

All I know about the P1102W I just read on hp.com.  It looks like the install via USB will set up the printer, but probably only from a wireless PC on the network you want the printer on.  If either computer 2 or 3 is are wireless PCs the install should have succeeded, but other USB drivers might have gotten in the way.  The same might also apply to the xp 64 bit and the xp 32.

It looks like there is a build in USB ROM drive in the printer.  When you connect the USB cable it gets activated.  If you are only getting USB printing then the other install failed most likely due to a USB drive issue.

To get around that I would try running the CD that came with the product or downloading drivers specific to the OS from hp.com and trying them from a wireless PC.  The PC needs to be wireless for the installer to read the wireless settings and transfer them to the printer.

You might also want to print a configuration page.  

From the product control panel, press and hold the cancel button for 5 seconds, and then release it to print a address in the Network Information section. Configuration page. This page will have network and IP information.

Hopefully using the CD from your wireless PC will solve the problem.

Let us know.

Foster

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
I am employed by HP
Student
skalter
Message 3 of 39 (31,636 Views)

I have been struggling with getting this printer to connect to my router as well.  Print the status page and see if the "communication mode" is "ad hoc" or "infrastructure".  

If it is "ad hoc" that will not work.  Using a windows box or perhaps a mac, download and install the appropriate drivers and find the wireless config that it installs.  Use this to try to configure the network you want it to connect to.  This should change the "communications mode" to "infrastructure" and you might have a fighting chance at that point.

If it is in "infrastructure mode" and the light is just blinking and never going solid, then you are in the same position I am now.

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 4 of 39 (31,602 Views)

I'm guessing that the blinking LED means the printer assiciated to your network but the 802.11 security password it isn't matching the one in the router.  We might need to move backward, by reseting the printer to defaults, before continuing forward. - but first tell me about your network:

Router brand and model

PC type (laptop/desktop/wireless...)

PC Wireless 2.4GHz or 5.0 GHz

PC operating system

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
nmckeever
Message 5 of 39 (31,563 Views)

Can't get this printer to connect to my network either.  I've got a Cisco 1252 AP setup with WEP 128bit Cipher encryption.  I run the setup disc and it can see my SSID, I enter all my security settings but it won't associate.  I take it this printer doesn't support Cipher encryption?

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 6 of 39 (31,559 Views)

The printer should support WEP 128bit encryption.  Sometimes the way strings are handled with WEP can cause the password to be changes when it is sent.  It is a HEX vs ASCII thing.  It might be easier to just try WPA.

Would you mind changing the security on your access point to WPA or WPA2. If that works it will help in narrowing the issue parameters.  The WEP standard is several years old and has been superseded by WPA.  WPA is now recommended.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
nmckeever
Message 7 of 39 (31,542 Views)

I wish I could but I have a legacy PDA that's wireless only supports WEP.  I'll try putting the key in again and seeing if it works.

Grad Student
TreeFrog
Message 8 of 39 (31,516 Views)

[ Edited ]

Is your router set up for WEP Open or Shared.  If it is set to Shared you might try Open.  We are getting reports of problem with WEP Shared.  It is also not as secure as WEP Open (even though the name might suggest otherwise).

Also, there are two ways to enter a WEP key.  One is a HEX string the other an ASCII string.  For 128 bit the Hex string will be 40 characters for ASCII it will be 13.  The router might allow ASCII entry and then convert it internally to HEX.  If you can use the 40 character HEX on both ends entry will be more reliable (except typos).  I've seen some issues with the translation.

I am employed by HP
Student
marshcast
Message 9 of 39 (31,336 Views)

If the machine (winxp) does not connect to the printer wirelessly AND the printer will not install using the install software on the disk (continuous loop when installing drivers) how does one do anything at all with this printer?

would it be possible for you to send me the PPD file so that I can at least print. I can use these for my Linux machine and they work fine (so I'm told) and to be honest, the Linux is far less of a headache overall than all this windows "please install enough software to bring your machine to a standstill" routine.

Could you please just provide me with a way to A) have the printer up and running, and B) change the "communication mode" from ad-hoc to infrastructure so that I can use what I have paid for?

incidentally - the hp-lip is generally regarded as 'not working' - hence my request for PPD file - which apparently is great!

thank you for your time,

Marsh

Student
digbye53
Message 10 of 39 (30,746 Views)

Same issue with a twist.  I can get the printer on my network, but only after resetting the dsl modem.  I have uninstalled / reinstalled the software several times both wirelessly and via the USB cable.  It recognized my USB and sees the WPA2 key just fine.  It only allows me to connect to the printer page once.  Each subsequent time it times out.  Very weird.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation