Question

Student
freddino
Message 1 of 25 (47,120 Views)

P1102w and AirPrint

HP has added the P1102w to the list of devices that can use AirPrint. The printer is in fact listed in this page http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356.

Now, I guess that since it still doesn't work I should upgrade the firmware of my printer. I tried, but when I open HP's LaserJet Firmware Update Utility for this printer it DOESN't work. It gets stuck and the icon keeps bouncing on the dashboard (I'm a Mac user).

What should I do at this point?

Thanks in advance.

Honor Student
tribeca1
Message 2 of 25 (46,911 Views)

Re: P1102w and AirPrint

I have exactly the same issue. Is there a problem with the firmware?
Honor Student
tribeca1
Message 3 of 25 (46,905 Views)

I got around the problem by downloading the firmware update on my work laptop (which is a PC). 

The iPad and iPhone were then recognised by airprint. 

If you've got a PC around or can borrow a laptop with windows installed it will solve the problem. Hope that helps.

Honor Student
natekill
Message 4 of 25 (46,564 Views)

Can somebody at HP please let us know when a firmware package that works with Mac OS X lion will be available? I have no access to a windows computer. 

Honor Student
Flyonzewall
Message 5 of 25 (46,342 Views)

You can add me to that list as well. Although the P1102W is advertised as working with AirPrint, the required firmware installer does not work with either OSX 10.6.8 (SNow Leopard) or 10.7 (Lion). 

I have yet to see any comment from H-P support regarding a firmware installer that works, and this problem has been around for months. So much for H-P OSX support I guess.

Teacher
headsortails
Message 6 of 25 (46,337 Views)

What happend when you try to run the firmwre updater? If it just hangs then what I did to work around the problem was to connect the printer via a USB cable and then use System Preferences to turn off all of my network interfaces. Only then did I run the firmware updater. It didn't hang in this configuration. After updaing the firmware I got rid of the USB cable and turned back on the network interfaces.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 7 of 25 (46,334 Views)

The Firmware update has worked fine with Snow Leopard for me.

I have not tested it with Lion, but you should be aware the following:

Make sure to use USB connection - the firmware will not complete over a network connection.

As well, be aware that after selecting the USB device there is no indication for the update proccess, however it should be performed.

Simply check the firmware version after several minutes by accessing the Printer web page (Enter the Printer Setup under the print queue. you should see a link to it there.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
strayduck007
Message 8 of 25 (42,036 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just to say that as of December 12, 2011:

• the printers still on store shelves contain the old firmware which does NOT contain AirPrint
  • regardless of firmware you still need to install the driver from HP for your mac to be able to use it. Gone are the days where this is handled with OS X updates, it seems
  • the firmware updater for Mac does NOT work in 10.7.x and one must use Windows. If you have VirtualBox, Parallels or VMWare you can use a virtual machine to update your firmware until HP gets their head out of their *ss
  • once you get the printer updated and on your wifi network with an apple router, the web control panel works fine. Just press and hold the X button on the printer for 5 seconds to print a diagnostics page which will give you the IP address to enter into your web browser. 

Speaking of stuck heads: HP: it's 2011--can we get supply levels reported in our printer control panel?

*post updated for clarity and readability

Honor Student
strayduck007
Message 9 of 25 (41,892 Views)

Update: I just heard back from Apple who has been in touch with HP.

It appears that a firmware update WAS issued by HP and can be downloaded from their website.

As it turns out they did NOT update the webpage to indicate that this update worked with 10.7 so you may not have thought to download it. 

This, too has been fixed and I can confirm that the firmware updater DOES run on my Mac running 10.7.2

The download link is here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-95186-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Top Student
Seattle_Expat
Message 10 of 25 (40,278 Views)

Hmm.

As noted, the firmware update does take on 10.7.x but the "hp Laserjet Utility" is still broken. After installing the firmware update, I also updated the drivers on all three of our Macs and not one will launch the utility.

What I am referring to is the utility that is supposed to launch under Settings --> Print & Scan --> Options & Supplies --> Utility. The program launches, but appears to get stuck and can't complete execution. As I said, same experience on all three machines.

Anyone have the same?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation