Question

Top Student
jambc
Message 1 of 13 (2,719 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart b210A - Server Connection Error and Will not Connect to Wireless Router

I am having issues setting up and connecting to my router from my new b210A printer. All goes well with the initial setup, and when asked to connect to the network initially, it works. Then it says that the printer requires updates, downloads updates, restarts, asks if I want to enable eprint features, and as soon as I say "Ok", I get a "Server Connection Error" and it is then no longer connected to the network. When I get out of the "Server Connection Error" screen, and attempt to reconnect to the network, it says "Success", prints a Wireless Test Report, but never connects.

This is the 2nd printer I've had in a week, since the online HP person over chat told me my first printer had "hardware" issues, after experiencing the same issues, and recommended I return it. So - I did, and now I'm running into the same issues. The 800 number was NO HELP - after recommending that I unplug and replug, then telling me there were server errors (when the printer was not connected to the network).

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 13 (2,668 Views)

Re: Photosmart b210A - Server Connection Error and Will not Connect to Wireless Router

Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

In the mean time, let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (ends with .1) for the gateway and first DNS.  Leave the second one blank.

- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Gramardon
Message 3 of 13 (2,660 Views)

Re: Photosmart b210A - Server Connection Error and Will not Connect to Wireless Router

Had the same problem today whist setting up a Photosmart Premium Fax 4-in-printer C410b. Local wifi worked correctly, but no connection to internet (server connection error). Problem was in router setting for Port Forwarding. To resolve problem, I manually set printer IP address  to a fixed setting outside the DHCP range Then, I opened the router settings and enabled Port Forwarding, starting and finishing on Port 9100, to the selected printer IP Address.

Since my router DNS is 192.168.2.1, I selected 192.168.2.235 for the printer IP Address.Most roters have a DNS of 192.168.1.1. In that case, printer IP Address should be 192.168.1.235.

In my Huawei Echolife router, Port Forwarding is found under NAT .

Printer is now fully functioning.

Student
Renton
Message 4 of 13 (2,639 Views)

Had similar problem whereby wifi printing within the home was functional, but printer could not connect to server in order to enable eprint. The solution given by Gramardon (port forwarding) worked a treat. Thanks!!  

Top Student
jambc
Message 5 of 13 (2,618 Views)

Thanks so much for your help! We are on to something, but still not there yet.

Router is a Linksys 802.11g, 2.4ghz. Modem is a Motorola SB4200 Surfboard Cable Model. ISP type is Cable. No encryption type.

When I print the Network Configuration Page, I see under "General Information" the following:

Network Status: Ready

Active Connection Type: Wireless

URL /IP Address for Embedded Web Server: Http://HP....D and then the URL for my router listed below that. Starts in 169 and ends in 45.

Firmware Revision, Hostname, and Serial Number listed next.

The next section outlines my Hardware address, shows my status as "connected", SSid, Access point HW Address, etc, etc, no encryption (I know - I need to fix this).

Not sure where to go next.....

THANKS!

IPv4 section: Lists the IP address of my router, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway as all zeros', Auto IP, Primary DNS Server and Secondary DNS server as showing all zeros as well.

Port 9100 Status enabled.

When I entered the URL for embedded web server into my browser, nothing came up. Nothing comes up when I enter my URL for my router either.

Top Student
jambc
Message 6 of 13 (2,617 Views)

See other response... but how do I know what the DHCP range is?? Sorry! I'm showing Port 9100 Status as enabled on my Netowork Config page.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 13 (2,605 Views)

Oh, sorry.  Standard Linksys DHCP range is 192.168.100 to 192.168.1.149

I am employed by HP
Top Student
jambc
Message 8 of 13 (2,584 Views)

Great. Thank you!! Did you see my response earlier regarding the Network Configuration Page? I truly appreciate the input, and I'm not sure where to go from here outside of returning the printer.

Thanks again!!!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 13 (2,573 Views)

169.254.x.x means the printer did not connect to the router.

Here are a few tips:

- Make sure that 802.11g is enabled in your router.

- Use WPA encryption with a long password with no spaces

- Broadcast your SSID

- Do not use MAC filtering

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
WillemToppertje
Message 10 of 13 (1,262 Views)

I just got B211a, cannot connect to the internet.

Wireless network works, can print and browse printer.

I configured the printer to a static IP address (192.168.0.240; the router is at 192.168.0.1)

and configured port forwarding for port 9100 on the printer IP.

If I try to enable web services, the printer attempts to download updates and gives the 'Server Connection Error'.

HP support was not usefull, suggested after half an hour that the ePrint server is down.

How do I check the ePrint server status ?

The web link on the thread returns  'Forbidden'.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation