Using WPS to connect your new wireless printer to your Wi-Fi network (67631 Views)
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 1 of 9 (67,631 Views)

Using WPS to connect your new wireless printer to your Wi-Fi network

All of HP's newest wireless printers have WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) in them.  This allows a very simple method to connect your wireless HP printer to your Wi-Fi network.

It's very simple:  Start the WPS Pushbutton method (under the printer's wireless menu) on the printer and then press the WPS button on your wireless-router.  That's it -- no need to remember the SSID or encryption passphrase.

All new wireless-routers from tier-1 manufacturers are deploying WPS.  To be sure, look for the WPS logo on the wireless-router box:

Now,  Apple wireless-routers do not have an external WPS button, so here's what you do:

1. open the Apple Airport Utility
  2. select your wireless router
  3. select Manual Setup
  4. select Add Wireless Clients ... from the Base Station menu
  5. Select First Attempt then press Continue.

You have to start the Apple Add Wireless Client process within two minutes of starting the printer's WPS pushbutton method.  Actually, order doesn't matter ... you can start the Add Wireless Clients process on the the Apple router first then start the printer's WPS pushbutton method.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Student
dcwagner66
Message 2 of 9 (57,890 Views)

Re: Using WPS to connect your new wireless printer to your Wi-Fi network

Hey - thank you for contributing!   I have a question for  you.    I can't figure out how to add a Wireless Client under the Airport Utility, when I am using a Time Capsule / Wifi configuration.   Any ideas?

Student
marsheag
Message 3 of 9 (41,873 Views)

where is the wps located dont know where to push

Distinguished Professor
sabretooth04
Message 4 of 9 (41,602 Views)

Only if your router supports WPS.  Anyway, it is recommended that you connect to your wireless network manually following the instructions in the manual, since WPS has it's own issues.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I used to work for HP, but now I'm retired.
Intern
nogeeks
Message 5 of 9 (40,165 Views)

Is HP still the only brand that will work with some Apple rounter functions?

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 6 of 9 (39,106 Views)

I believe that would be a question best asked of Apple.  I think it still holds true, but Apple will be the best people to answer that question. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
redfemale
Message 7 of 9 (27,548 Views)

I am trying 2 setup my iPad with my hp photosmart printer. It keep asking me 4 a wap pass code. I have u verse. How can I setup my iPad with my uverse?
Honor Student
redfemale
Message 8 of 9 (27,547 Views)

How do u setup for a apple iPad?
Student
michaelhdmd
Message 9 of 9 (20,092 Views)

I had a problem connecting my Officejet 4620 to my Apple Timecapsule using the Airport Utiliity (ver 6.3.1).  I found instructions on the "web" to add via a WPS Printer via the Basestation Drop down.  This did not work.  What I was able to do was add, but I had to connect via the supplied USB cable first.  After I used my MacPro to configure the wireless setup via USB, I was able to get the printer connected wireless to the network.  There might be instuctions in the manual on this, but they did not jump out at me.  After the printer was established on the network I was able to add a the printer to a Windows machine without the USB.  I did have to insert the install disk and follow the instructions.  Prior to this step the printer was not available. I also added to another networked Mac without USB using the OS Printer add function.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation