Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Following are some tips to get the best responses in the forum:   

• Search before posting  Use the "Search" box to see if someone has already asked and answered your question.

• Use the Forum, not email  This way others can contribute to and benefit from the answers.

• Write good titles  Put a short problem description as well as your printer model in the title.

• Provide details  Be sure to give relevant information including:
    • Problem Description
    • Printer Model
    • Operating System  (including service pack revision)
    • Connection Method - USB, Hardwired LAN, Wireless?
    • Error messages - on printer screen and/or computer, any blinking light patterns.  

• Watch for Feedback   Subscribe to email updates for your question and/or check your question frequently for responses.  Answer promptly any requests for additional information.

• Say "Thanks".  When you get an answer to your problem acknowledge the solution.  If the answer is helpful mark it with "Kudos" by clicking on the kudos button.  If your problem is solved then mark it as solved.  This will help others with similar issues find the solution.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

To add to Bob's post, if your problem is specific about wireless printers, please include the following information when asking for help:

1. Describe your wireless networkList the SSID and type of encryption you are using (none, WEP, WPA-PSK).

2. Tell me if you're hiding the SSID or if you're using MAC-filteringIn general, these security methods are very weak and are a poor substitute for WPA-PSK encryptionBTW -- I never recommend MAC-filtering or hiding the SSID in my work as this causes more trouble than it's worth.

3. Tell me what kind of wireless-devices are connected to your network.

4. Does the printer have a good IP addressUnless you purposely setup an Ad-Hoc network (that is a wireless network without a wireless-router), the IP address will start with 192.168 or 10.0You can get the printer's IP address by printing the Network Configuration Page or by running on the Wireless Network Test on newer HP wireless-printers.

5. See if you can browse the printer's internal web page by entering the printer's IP address in your browserIf you can, then we know that the wireless-printer is on your network.

6. Tell me what kind of personal SW firewall and anti-virus program you are running on your computersPersonal SW firewalls can interfere with the installation and operation of networking SW on your PC, including network printer drivers.

Best Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiast

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended
Please see my post on C7280
HP Recommended

Hi I just purchased a new HP laptop and printer, would you know how or if i can set my printer up as wireless?

HP Recommended

ebarton wrote:

Hi I just purchased a new HP laptop and printer, would you know how or if i can set my printer up as wireless?

Please READ the first post in this thread, then ask a question in the proper forum (probably here) with a new post using the "New post" button just above the line that says Announcements.  Use a clear title, something like "How do I set up Deskjet ZZZZ in wireless?", replacing Deskjet ZZZZ with whatever printer you actually have, and be sure to provide the details suggested in the first post here.

Without the information on what printer and operating system you have it is impossible to answer your question, and putting it in this thread means few folks will see it.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure where to put this post, so I thought this one might be the best place.

I had my Photosmart all-in-one 2610xi printer hooked up with a usb cable for a long time...everything worked great!  Then I got a laptop and a router and configured my printer with the router, so that I could use it from the laptop.  Everything went along very well, until about 2 months later...my desktop wouldn't boot.  I did all sorts of things to figure out what was going on....after troubleshooting a lot of things, including the printer....I disconnected everything that was connected to the desktop.....and started the desktop up....and it worked!  So I knew that it had to be something connected to the computer.  So I started reconnecting things one at a time, when I came to the printer my problem was back!  I had to disconnect the printer from POWER before it stopped the problem.  Which it does about every 2 to 3 months....then some sort of problem is back, not always the same problem.  I don't panic, just unplug the power to the printer.   So when it happens now, I just pull the power cord from the printer, and then replug it....and all is well again!

I talked to a tech about this, but they had no opinion of the problem or the solution!

But my feeling is that the ram memory in the printer needs to be refreshed....deleted.....by disconnecting the power it does this....and all is refreshed!

My sister has Officejet 6310....that does the same thing....and that solution has worked for her too!  Hers is also attached to a router!

We both have Dell computers....desktops and laptops.  I have Windows XP sp3, she has Vista 64bit.

Thank you for letting me post this solution.

BJBenedetti

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@BJBenedetti wrote:

I'm not sure where to put this post, so I thought this one might be the best place.

This is not the right place for a post that is unrelated to asking good questions.  For your specific issue the answer is likely that your computer is trying to boot from the memory card slot in the Photosmart 2610.  You can correct this by going into your BIOS (press F2 at setup) and deselect USB as one of the boot options.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.