Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer

I am trying to print a booklet with Microsoft Word.  I have updated the print settings for booklet printing and selected Double Sided on the short side.  When I print, it will print the front of the first set of pages fine but when it goes to pull it back in to print on the second side it doesn't feed in straight so it kicks the paper out and causes a load paper error.  This also causes the paper to be crumpled at the end (not very professional looking for a booklet).  I am printing on HP Copy & Print 20 paper.  I've checked for jams in all areas of the printer and do not see anything.  I've also sprayed dust remover to get any dust out.  How can I fix this so I can print this document?  I am aware that my printer's warranty has long been expired.  I don't have the funds to go out and buy another printer so I have to get this one to work.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@SpotlightPrtPro 

Welcome to the HP Community --

From your description, the printer might benefit from a good cleaning.

An 'Out of Paper' Message Displays and the Printer Does Not Pick Up Paper for the HP Officejet Pro 8...

Solution Three explains how to clean the printer rollers.

There are a number of steps to complete and locations to check.

What else?

Assuming you have been able to print 2-sided Word documents in the past and the settings are correct, there is reason to believe it should still work.

If you have not done so,  consider:

After the printer is cleaned, Restart the computer and log in

Export your document to PDF and try printing the PDF file.

For example, print the PDF file using Adobe Reader DC.

Hint,

To save paper, as a test, print page range 1-2

General Example

Print PDF - Size / Booklet

Open the PDF document in Adobe Reader DC 

Click the Print icon

Open Properties

Set Shortcut to Everyday Printing or similar (Plain paper printing, single sided)

Select your Paper Size

Click OK to save change(s) and Exit the Properties menu

Main print menu

Page Sizing & Handling

Select Booklet or Size

Reminder:  Adjust "duplex settings" in the PDF print menu, not in Properties

When ready, click to Print

Example - PDF Print - Menu - Adobe Reader DC 

PDF_Reader_Main_Menu_Border_4PDF_Reader_Main_Menu_Border_4

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

References / Resources

Software and drivers for HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer series 

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories: Alerts, Troubleshooting, Ink & Paper, HP Software / Drivers / Firmware Updates , Setup & User Guides, Product Specifications, Account & Registration, Warranty & Repair

Open

HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer series  

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you, Dragon-Fur for your reply.  I will go through the steps to do a good cleaning.  In the meantime, I did save the Word Document to Adobe PDF and tried to print it.  It did go through, but the second side printed upside down.  Did I miss a step?

HP Recommended

I cleaned all the rollers just as the instructions stated.  It definitely is still not feeding right from the Word Document. I tried again from the PDF and it does the same thing.  Gets jammed up when trying to feed back in for the 2nd side.  I'm at a loss.

HP Recommended

@SpotlightPrtPro 

You are welcome...

@SpotlightPrtPro wrote:

Thank you, Dragon-Fur for your reply.  I will go through the steps to do a good cleaning. 

In the meantime, I did save the Word Document to Adobe PDF and tried to print it. 

It did go through, but the second side printed upside down. 

Did I miss a step?

============================

Next,

@SpotlightPrtPro wrote:

I cleaned all the rollers just as the instructions stated.  It definitely is still not feeding right from the Word Document. I tried again from the PDF and it does the same thing.  Gets jammed up when trying to feed back in for the 2nd side.  I'm at a loss.

Printer - Orientation

Orientation depends on your Fold type.

I have created and printed exactly one 3-fold test document.

3-Fold, "tall" / Z-Fold

I've flipped the  page order from what is apparently the standard of 3-2-1 to my preference page order >1-2-3

No reason for it, except my personal logic meter really wants the first fold on the right.

Flip and Page order is related to document structure.

Example - 3-Fold - 1st fold on right - Landscape - Flip on Short side

DragonFur_0-1696362490535.png

Printer - Specifications

Open

and

Media type Plain paper; Thick plain paper, HP Bright White Paper, HP Premium Presentation Paper, Matte, Other Inkjet Papers, Card Stock, HP Premium Plus Photo Papers, HP Advanced Photo Papers, HP Everyday Photo Paper, Matte,
HP Everyday Photo Paper, Glossy, Other photo papers, Other specialty papers, Other Greeting Cards, HP Brochure Paper 180g, Glossy, HP Brochure and Flyer Paper, Matte, HP Tri-fold Brochure Paper, Matte, HP Tri-fold Brochure
Paper, Glossy, Other brochure papers, Plain hagaki, Inkjet hagaki, Photo hagaki

Media weight Tray 1: 16 to 28 lb (plain paper); 60 to 75 lb (photo); 20 to 24 lb (envelope); 90 to 110 lb (card)

Media sizes custom Tray 1: 3 x 5 to 8.5 x 14 in (76.2 x 127 to 215.9 x 355.6 mm)

For reference:
HP Card Paper is defined as Index Card Paper - to 200 gsm.
HP Brochure Papers (matte and glossy) / HP Professional Paper = 180 gsm.
HP Presentation Paper = 120 gsm.

If you paper is heavier than the supported paper weights within the types,
(then)
Regardless of the condition of the printer, the heavier paper will likely Jam and / or refuse to feed properly.

So - maybe it is not going to work.

?

Tray and Paper Settings can be adjusted as best can be done in both the EWS / Tray and Paper settings and in the software used to submit the job to the printer.

It is true that older printers that handled supported heavier paper when the printer was new might no longer support that same paper.  What?  Stuff wears out, including the gears, the rollers, and feed mechanics.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.