Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
8630 Ink Jet
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer: HP 8630

Windows 10, with all updated drivers.

Have recently switched from using 24# paper in this printer to 28#, and we are experiencing occasional (not frequent, but certainly more than when we were using the lighter paper) jams and misfeeds.  It strikes us that we are perhaps not specifying the correct paper weight to the printer?

1. Microsoft 365 Word print setup offers many choices of papers.  We have been using "Plain paper."  We see that there's a setting called  "thick plain paper."  What weight paper would that correspond to?

2. Will the selection of an incorrect paper type perhaps lead to the increase in misfeeds/jams that one might expect?

Thanks! 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@KenneyDave 

Suggestion based on having had this printer a few years ago:

Set your paper type to thick paper or to Presentation paper - also "rare like hens teeth" at the HP store site, Presentation paper is typically 120 gsm - Presentation paper not as heavy as brochure paper (180 gsm).

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Officejet Pro 8630 e-All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

In terms of feeding, paper selection is not likely to reduce jamming in my opinion. Most likely dirty rollers coupled with media that can be a challenge for reliable feeding are the cause. Surface of paper can also plan a big role, with glossy or ultra smooth surfaces causing roller slip.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

@KenneyDave 

@Repairatrooper 

Good point.

If the printer needs maintenance, the paper choice won't help.

Steps presented in the order to be considered / completed:

Fixing Print Quality Problems

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the input.

Well, let me ask you this: When printing from Word, I have to select my printer and I am also offered a link to "Printer Properties" - are these available properties those that the printer driver supplies to Word?  Where are such properties more precisely defined/documented? For instance, the paper type "Plain paper"  and "Thick plain paper" doesn't provide much information regarding the difference between the two. 

Further, what difference does the choice of paper make to Word, and/or to the printer driver?  Does it drive ink delivery?  Is printer throughput speed a function of paper selection? Is a mechanical adjustment made to roller and feed settings to accommodate the thicker or thinner paper?   Is there a downside to selecting an ostensibly heavier paper setting than the actual paper being supplied?

HP Recommended

@KenneyDave 

You are welcome.

I believe you are addressing these questions to @Repairatrooper  who has a more professional relationship with the printing environment.

I will add my comments and then withdraw having provided what I can to the conversation.

Reminder

Anything not stated within the Specifications or other HP documentation is my opinion only.

Beyond what you find in Properties / Printing Preferences, there is not always a Precise definition of the terms.

The Printing Specifications document provides most of what is available - again, not always precise in the way I think you are using the wording.

Reference

Printer Home page >> Category Product Information

Printer Specifications for HP Officejet 8600, Pro 8610, 8620, 8630, 8640, 8660 Printers

Section Paper Handling > Paper tray capacities

Paper
60 to 105 g/m2 (16 to 28 lb bond)

Plain paper is typically within the Specification listing.

Common home / small office "everyday" paper is perhaps 20-24lb.

Depending on your use, heavier (and whiter) paper can provide a better print surface and a more "professional" result.

Heavier paper also uses more of the world's resources to product - choose what you need / want.

Word does not care about paper selection.

That said, the printer does care about paper selection and the Printing Properties / shortcut dialog lets you make choices based on what you know the printer supports (specs), the paper you are using, and the available choices in the print driver.

Yes, paper type does impact ink delivery.  Not my area of expertise, though a 'net search might provide a lot more detail on the subject.

Reference: Inkjet Printers Ink Usage

There is not (in what I can find at the moment) a clear definition for "Thick Paper".  Based on some old documentation, I am guessing the term might generally refer 100 gsm paper.

This is similar to (currently available) 32lb / 120 gsm premium white (163) paper. 

120 gsm is also the weight of the "Presentation" paper (which might be morphing into a name change??).

I can (and do) print on Premium paper (on my OfficeJet Pro 9025) without setting to "thick paper".  That said, the two printer models are not the same and the 9025 is much newer (not worn after years of service, for example)

Sure, there can be a downside to selecting the wrong paper type - if the distance between the rollers is set to too small, the paper might jam, too large and the paper might slip.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.