Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have put photo paper in the apppropriate photo tray, but I don't even get that paper option on the printer screen. It is not lit up as an option, as if the printer is not reconizing that the paper is there.

The printer otherwise works fine with all regular paper from the main paper tray.

When I go to "preferences" then choose "tray management" the option for the Main tray is lit up, but the photo tray is not. If I touch on the photo tray option, nothing happens.

Suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@mramx

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer. I understand that you are getting photo tray issue with this printer,

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Make sure the photo tray is seated correctly.
  • Make sure the printer is positioned on a flat surface.
  • Push in the output tray extender.
  • Pull out the input tray, but do not remove it.
  • Make sure the photo tray is seated correctly, and that the photo tray guide tabs (grey) are sliding beneath the main tray guides (black) on both the left and right side of the input tray.
  • Reinstall the output tray, then make sure the edges line up with the input tray.

Click here for the document which you can refer.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community.

Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.

If you wish to say "thanks" for my efforts, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same printer (new) and I am having the same problem, it says no paper in photo tray, I have tried all ways to get it to work, I have checked the tray installed correctly etc. but cant get it to work, tried several different types of 6x4 paper

HP Recommended

@LyndonG1

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that that your Officejet 5740 printer is not picking up paper from photo tray. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

• Check the condition of the paper.
  •  Push in the photo tray.
  • Make sure that the stack of paper contains No fewer than 5 sheets of photo paper.

check to make sure that the photo paper is correctly loaded into the photo tray.

• If 4x6 in, Photo Paper displays in the Photo Tray field, the photo paper is loaded correctly in the photo tray. Touch OK to return to the Home screen.
  • If the Photo Tray field displays as Empty, open the photo tray and make sure that the photo paper is pushed all the way to the rear of the tray, and then push the photo tray into the printer as far as possible. Check the printer control panel to make sure that 4x6 in., Photo Paper displays in the Photo Tray field.

Click here for the document which you can refer.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community.

Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.

If you wish to say "thanks" for my efforts, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So if I open the photo I want to print in "Photos" in Win 10, then use the drop down menu to select print, I get even more optons on the left of the screen. Here I can choose photo tray, size of paper and paper type. I then select print and the photo prints fine from the photo tray.

But for some reason, it still does not work if I try using the screen on the printer itself. So I just use this longer version and I can get my photos to print.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.